wolf spider care?

Eli02

Arachnopeon
I have owned a few tarantulas in the last and still own one, but really like the way wolf spiders look and act. Does anybody have any care tips for them?

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Large Exo Terra faunarium, a hide, some fake plants, a water dish and live prey. It's awesome to watch them attack their prey. Honestly, they're a pretty easy spider to care for. What species are you thinking on getting?

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you can keep tarantulas, you can keep wolf spiders. They're pretty easy to take care of. I have desert wolfies (Hogna sp.) so I keep them the same as my arid NW terrestrials - but give them a little more space, relative to their size, because they are a much more active spider. I have mine in a couple of large, flat "breeder boxes" (18x12x6.5) with a sand/coconut fiber substrate, some bits of dried brush and bark to hide under, and the cap from a milk jug for a water dish. (I've never actually seen them drink from it.) They do like to run around a lot more than tarantulas - when I had them in 64 oz. deli cups, they ran rings around them until you could see a clear "track" worn in the substrate, all the way around the perimeter of the container. They are fierce hunters and take down crickets readily. If you are getting a mature, wild-caught female spider, there is a good chance you might end up with babies - in which case, be warned - they are tiny escape artists and can climb glass or plastic with ease!

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
I currently own a Hogna sp. Tuscon. I keep it like I keep my obts, except with less substrate. I give it a cork bark hide, and a water cap. It seems to be doing nicely. It recently molted and is eating nicely.

I've heard Hogna sp. Tuscon gets to 6 inches in leg span. Any one have any proof of this?

Tigrosa

Arachnosquire
Currently working with Hogna lenta and Gladicosa pulchra. Some roam, some burrow, and some web, so depending on the species, you may need to adjust your enclosure and husbandry accordingly. But generally speaking, all wolf spiders need soft substrate, lots of floor space, a water dish at all times, and can take down relatively large live foods. They appreciate lots of cover and varied terrain.