Wishful tarantulas

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sure, I'll play along.

A T. albo that grows to 10-12" ;)

A Poec that likes to cuddle and won't bite :p

A Theraphosa that would do well bone dry like most Aphono/Brachy/Grammo Who wouldn't like that ?

A Theraphosa you could walk on a leash :p Why not ?

Most of these are downright goofy, would be awesome though.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
Wish my Theraphosas were much bigger and able to tolerate cold temperatures I would take them waterfowl hunting with me and they could be my retrievers. Tell me that wouldn't be bad ass having a Theraphosa drop a duck in my hand and go back to hide and wait for another flock to come by.

Royalty

Arachnoknight
Wish my Theraphosas were much bigger and able to tolerate cold temperatures I would take them waterfowl hunting with me and they could be my retrievers. Tell me that wouldn't be bad ass having a Theraphosa drop a duck in my hand and go back to hide and wait for another flock to come by.
I could take mine out for a walk and scare my neighbors. (None of my neighbors know I have tarantulas. I do not really chat with them but I also moved in Feb last year so it was right before the Covid stuff)

KeGathings17

Arachnosquire
All NW's either don't have urticating hairs, or they just don't cause reaction in humans, or all OW's dont have nearly as potent venom. Also, a spider that makes more noise than just stridulating might be kind of interesting. Imaging hearing your T blondi chirp and call like chorus frogs in the night? (Probably would have less people wanting to keep if that was the case)

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
i have kept 3 and the longest one made it for me was 3 weeks, the reason they do so bad is they need lots of space to run around and hunt, they try to run up the sides of the enclosure until they die.
No, they actually need tiny enclosures and feeding when they are thin and only when they are thin. If they have access to large enclosures they run themselves to death and if they have too much food they eat to death.

Royalty

Arachnoknight
No, they actually need tiny enclosures and feeding when they are thin and only when they are thin. If they have access to large enclosures they run themselves to death and if they have too much food they eat to death.
Could it depend on species? there are different types of Camel spiders.. Not much is known about their care but maybe different species do better in different set ups? I agree with the feeding thing tho.

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
Could it depend on species? there are different types of Camel spiders.. Not much is known about their care but maybe different species do better in different set ups? I agree with the feeding thing tho.
I had success with one for a few weeks like this (escaped). I know @mantisfan101 has kept some for over a year like this, mine being wild caught, his being a much different species.

Royalty

Arachnoknight
I had success with one for a few weeks like this (escaped). I know @mantisfan101 has kept some for over a year like this, mine being wild caught, his being a much different species.
I would like to keep some myself and be able to collect info on them myself but they are not really available here. I heard of one person that bred them but seems to not be in the business anymore.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
This is not about your next dream tarantulas, but wishful tarantulas that do not exist unfortunately.

For example:

Dwarf size Poecilotheria
Heavy webbing Brachypelma
Jumping Theraphosa with good eye sight
The giant size tarantula that Monsterquest did an episode on in South America. Big enough to eat a dog. So claims the natives.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
Terrestrial poecilotheria. Arboreal G pulchra. Jet black T. Blondi. Docile OBT
Why even own OBT if they aren't spicy?

i have kept 3 and the longest one made it for me was 3 weeks, the reason they do so bad is they need lots of space to run around and hunt, they try to run up the sides of the enclosure until they die.
Were they captive bred? All you need to do is just buy more, then more, and then more of them. Duh...:)

A Piebald GBB

Last edited by a moderator:

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
A truly social T like A. consociata spiders that live in a big colony and screw it they can farm their own roaches or crickets like ants.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Dwarf size Poecilotheria
Well, P. metallica are quite on the "dwarfy" side of things, for me :troll:

Heavy webbing Brachypelma
I have, actually, a supposed Brachypelma spp. which is an heavy webber. I'm saying supposed because, so far, I received only mixed opinions about which exact species may be such spider.

Not excluding she may be, eventually, an hybrid (I received that spider for free, along with a couple of others, from a very casual-impulsive Italian buyer that couldn't kept T's anymore due to his wife so clueless where he purchased those T's, when, and from who - plus my brother 'managed' the free-deal, not me).