Winter schedule

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Here in North America winter and cold weather are far approaching or maybe already here depending on your location.
I've noticed a reduction in appetite and activity in a few specimens so I'm changing up husbandry during the winter.
Last year with slings I kept them at a decent temp range of 78 to about 72 at night. Since everyone is a year older, gonna do things a little differently. Reduced day and night temps. Reduced moisture. I 100% believe in seasonal fluctuations.
I also plan on not feeding for the month of January. Unless I see signs of a smaller than normal abdomen of course.

Does anyone else change things up during the winter months?

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Does anyone else change things up during the winter months?
Nothing much really. Just turning space heater on time to time, while keeping eye on every enclosures not to get too dry, that’s all.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I don’t do anything special. In California so I do run a space heater during the day to keep the room around 73 F and coldest it gets in the room at night this time of year is 67 F.

Never really kept a feeding schedule. It’s anywhere from twice a week to every 2-3 weeks depending on the T. Water does get checked on the daily, but less evaporation happening now and every 2-3 days seems to be sufficient for top offs or ‘spritz’ if they don’t have a dish.

But I have noticed the T’s are less active now the average temps aren’t in the high 70’s to 90’s anymore.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
My sling closet has the pipes that feed the heat upstairs running through it so it is actually at its warmest in the dead of winter.
Everyone who isn't still in the closet gets a little slower and they don't eat as often when the temperature dips.

Plus, air get dryyy.
Water dishes get a much closer eye.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Plus, air get dryyy.
Water dishes get a much closer eye.
I must have found a sweet spot, cause mine are the opposite now. I would have expected the water bowl struggle to continue like it did in my summer months. If I crank up the heater a few degrees I can feel the air is much dryer.

@Dorifto Resist, I have 100+ comments on humidity and air factors to search if needed. 😂

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
@Frogdaddy I have naturally done something similar in the winter months just because I have never supplemented heated. I allow them and myself to have normal fluctuations between seasons and be a littel cooler in the winter and for me that works because I find it natural and I do not bother myself with achieving growth rates, I let them do what they do without pushing anything. I have never had any problems in my keeping this way and I do not stress about any of it, tarantulas IME are for more hardy than people think and dont live within a constant 2-3 degrees all year in nature. I dont ever see changing this because it is so much more simple this way, and everyone is happy just the same me included! although @viper69 will probably call me a slumlord for voicing the simplicity of tarantul keeping lol

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I let temps drop to 18-19°C, Using central heating so there is less difference in day and night temps as there would be in the summer months when my windows are open 24/7.

i noticed less activity in some of my slings, not all

i feed my juveniles and adults less

i have a little closer eye on waterings but to be honest i feel like the earth dries slower in winter for me, not sure why, so i add water more carefully than in summer were i am more liberal with it.

Those are minor things, basically i do nothing different. I mostly agree with @Smotzer about this, who posted a few seconds before i was done :)

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
i keep my apartment temps 70s year round give or take a few degrees andcheck/refill water as needed etc.first thing each morning only thing i might change is how i have my coffee cold straight from the fridge during the hot summer or fresh hot coffee during winter :D

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
I run a space heater and a humidifier. I'm on the top floor of an old rowhome with a questionable hvac system an drafty windows, but with a space heater I keep it around 72 with the humidifier to prevent it from going too dry. But I also have herps in that room so the humidifer helps overall

Dorifto

He who moists xD
@Dorifto Resist, I have 100+ comments on humidity and air factors to search if needed. 😂
Always!!! 😂😂😂

I give them seasons too, but they are just the opposite of mine 🤣🤣🤣

I take advantage of dry winter air to simulate their hot and drier seasons, keeping them around 60% RH and 25°C 77F. In summer I don't need to do anything, as there is plenty of humidity in the air, and I keep my house cooler. So they are kept around 19-20°C/66-68F and 80% RH. Also, I change the moisting frequency.

Since I keep them that way, no burrow closings etc.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I’ve always changed things up due to seasonal changes

And honestly so do the Ts. Even when I dont make a change, but nature does with slightly lower ambient temps over times, 2-5F drop- they eat less no matter where in the world they are from. The Pokis seem to be resilient IME.