Wings promote feeding response?

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Has anyone else noticed their T's seem to have a stronger feeding response to things with wings, like male lats and male dubia, vs. feeders of the same size?

---------- Post added at 06:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

Or maybe bug ladyparts taste awful.

OrdoMallus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I wouldnt say that its really wings that drive the feeding response. In my experience i think its more of a movement thing. The males are kinda dumb and run around and have alot of movement where mostly the females are slower and more prone to sit still and play dead. Just my 2 cents but not really sure of anything factual to that.

Layne

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This could be different between terrestrial species and arboreal species. I could be wrong, but I thought a big part of Avicularia diet in the wild consisted of moths. Just saying I don't know this for fact, but wouldn't common sense point to arboreal tarantulas feeding on a diet of more airborne insects, therefore they would be stimulated more by wings as compared to a terrestrial species?

jimip

Arachnosquire
i personaly believe the it doesnt matter if its a tree dweller or a cave dweller if something starts to flap and flutter and its smaller then the t it will take it down.

spiderfield

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Tarantulas hunt using their sense of touch. So prey-items that are causing ground and/or air vibrations, and are within striking distance, will typically elicit a response.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i personaly believe the it doesnt matter if its a tree dweller or a cave dweller if something starts to flap and flutter and its smaller then the t it will take it down.
In the case of most true spiders as well. Hard to resist an insect in distress for them. My slings take waxmoths quicker than crickets.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
i'll ditto the above. my T's go crazy when i throw a big moth in with them. (not flying around, but flopping like crazy just as something in distress would)

JOBAH

Arachnopeon
"The air vibrations that an insect produces with its wings suffice to trigger a directed capture response from the spider. Even a totally blinded spider can accurarely locate a buzzing fly as much as 30cm away (Gorner and Andrews, 1696; Barth et al., 1993) ".. Biology of spiders, by Rainer F. Foelix.