Will TV Disturb A Nesting Rosie?

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've got a potentially-gravid G. rosea, and I want to get this figured out before she actually drops a sac...

Right now, all my T tanks are in a piece of cabinetry in a back sunroom of our house. This room get's the better humidity, more natural light, and seasonal light and temperature fluctuations, while still being enclosed and climate-controlled. This room also receives the least bit of human disturbance.

I'm worried because in the evenings, my father watches tv in there. The section of the cabinetry next to the Ts holds the tv. The problem is that he is nearly-deaf and listens to the tv VERY loudly. I know Ts don't have ears, but could this potentially affect a nesting T enough for her to eat a sac? She had a sac a year ago and ate it, but I think that I was responsible for disturbing her too much. The sac was a surprise and I didn't know any better.

The only other place I could think of to put her would be in a closet in another part of the house. The closet would be entirely dark, and the air would be much drier.

I don't want to wait until after she drops a sac to figure this out, because moving her then would most certainly be enough disturbance to spook her. Like I said... she's eaten a sac before.

Thoughts??

golda

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well... for one vibrations are a big thing for T's so a loud TV would mean a lot of vibrations if its near enough to the set. :wall:

rYe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah I hade a rosie close to a TV and everytime it was on she would start climbing the walls (closest to the TV) of her tank.

Leiurus87

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would move her at least 6 feet away. I play somewhat loud music of all types, but my Ts are located at least 6 feet away from the source of the sound, so they dont seem to mind, behaving normally. If its right next to it, the vibrations would certainly bother it if its loud enough.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i think people seriously overestimate the negative effects sound waves have on tarantulas

my room mate has a recording studio in our house. he monitors at something like 110+db (loud... very loud... so loud you have to shout into someone's ear to be understood). in my bed/bug room it is so loud that most flat surfaces resonate to the sound (including bug cage walls). i have raised a clutch of rosea that i bred, had P. regalis viables from another breeding, captive hatched an A. avic sac, had a bunch of baby centipedes captive hatch, etc

right now my roommate has a 4-5 instar A. avic that lives in his monitoring room. it just successfully molted a month or so ago and seems to be thriving

i would say that having the seasonal variations in temp and RH easily makes it worth having the loud TV sometimes.

i would bet the electromagnetic radiation the TV kicks out would have a more pronounced affect than any sound it generated.

edit:
oh yeah, i moved while my P. regalis had an eggsac. i decided to go ahead and move her in her cage with the eggsac. she was fine and didn't eat the eggsac. i think when a spider eats an eggsac it is probably for a reason on than a little disturbance. same thing with centipedes. i had one centipede on eggs that i checked at LEAST twice a day until the eggs were babies that were ready to seperate. i even purposefully dropped the container a few inches sometimes. =P

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Here's the situation...

I can switch her spot out with my A. seemani in the window sill (the direct light is blocked by felt on the back of the tank).

The only downside with that spot is that this little "angel" likes to sit on top of that tank.

My fear is that he will be more of a disturbance than the tv. Thoughts?

golda

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hi amanda.. nice cat by the way. moving them next to the A.Seemani would be a good idea seeing the sill is made of cement vibrations would be minimized. now the only problem is "angel"

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Have you ever seen the T.exhibit any type of behavior that would indicate the T.V. is disturbing her? You know, climbing the walls, etc. You might be able to just put a towel or something under the cage to damp the vibration. I would worry that the change of light, temperature, etc she might experience by moving her near the window might be worse than the television.

Just my 2 cents.

PinkLady

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Do what you feel comfy doing. Me personally, I kept my T's with sacs in a somewhat quiet, dark area with the heat and humidity at the temps that were needed.

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Have you ever seen the T.exhibit any type of behavior that would indicate the T.V. is disturbing her? You know, climbing the walls, etc. You might be able to just put a towel or something under the cage to damp the vibration. I would worry that the change of light, temperature, etc she might experience by moving her near the window might be worse than the television.

Just my 2 cents.
Now that you mention it... I never have seen her exhibit any different activity around that time of the evening when he's watching tv. I've already got felt pads under the corners of all my tanks, but a towel might just be enough to ease my mind. Thanks! :clap:

Golda, he's really a sweetheart. He just thinks that T-maintenance needs to be a shared activity, and that they are his as well. Not to worry tho... I've taken countless extra precautions to eliminate any risk to the Ts from his wandering. He's just curious.