Will this work for a psalmo?

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I would flip it because it will more than likely web up the bottom. Not very arboreal as slings. You will have a hard time feeding it. If you have sphagnum moss add some to the bottom. They will make curtains with it.

Here is my Psalmopoeus and Pokie setups.

A8A05CF4-1009-44ED-9BF0-4842C1FA6953.jpeg

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I wouldn’t use it like that they will burrow and build a dirt curtain. All my Psalmopoeus have done this. And every time you open you’d be destroying that and be easier for an escape. They like to retreat downwards into burrow or into dirt curtain behind the bark. So I wouldn’t have a bottom opening for that reason.

top opening or front opening would be better.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
I wouldn’t use it like that they will burrow and build a dirt curtain. All my Psalmopoeus have done this. And every time you open you’d be destroying that and be easier for an escape. They like to retreat downwards into burrow or into dirt curtain behind the bark. So I wouldn’t have a bottom opening for that reason.

top opening or front opening would be better.
Flipped it. Workin' on it. Thanks. Smoked some medicinals and when I was done, shouted "Shoot. DIRT CURTAINS!"....with some expletives in between 😆

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Flipped it. Workin' on it. Thanks. Smoked some medicinals and when I was done, shouted "Shoot. DIRT CURTAINS!"....with some expletives in between 😆
You’ll be good to go if it opens from the top.
Here’s an example of what one of my Psalmopoeus cambridgei enclosures looked like. First is the half arboreal half fossorial burrow/hide which goes down into the substrate. . Then it in its side web tube entrance where it hunts from. Precisely why it can’t open from the bottom! 479887E1-3F68-4DD6-8A68-F2F8B97EAA79.jpeg E2A0E4C7-6328-4872-95E9-0B4BFFDE8F74.jpeg

TLSizzle

Arachnoknight
Nothing constructive to add, just that it's continuing to be a fun ride watching your collection grow! Your A. genic sling is the cutest.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Finished it up. Thanks guys!

Getting the 1.5" P. cam, a 2" X. intermedia, and a tiny P. sazimai sling tomorrow :)

Nothing constructive to add, just that it's continuing to be a fun ride watching your collection grow! Your A. genic sling is the cutest.
Thanks! Appreciate it :)

My whole collection is in my profile if you ever wanna take a look! 🤷‍♂️

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Finished it up. Thanks guys!

Getting the 1.5" P. cam, a 2" X. intermedia, and a tiny P. sazimai sling tomorrow :)

Thanks! Appreciate it :)

My whole collection is in my profile if you ever wanna take a look! 🤷‍♂️
Looks good!! now watch you get the one odd ball cambridgei that will go to the top and web a hut in the corner. :)

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I think it looks pretty good, maybe just add a little more cover around the bottom. As slings, they often burrow a bit and create "dirt curtains"! This is one of my favorite species....you won't be disappointed! And they grow FAST.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
I think it looks pretty good, maybe just add a little more cover around the bottom. As slings, they often burrow a bit and create "dirt curtains"! This is one of my favorite species....you won't be disappointed! And they grow FAST.
It moved some moss and built a cool dirt curtain it could hide behind its first night.....

Then abandoned it and stays "perched" on the bark right under where the cover opens....DOH!!!!

Gonna feed it again tomorrow and REALLY hoping it moves down some LOL!

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Then abandoned it and stays "perched" on the bark right under where the cover opens.
Might make feeding tough yeah, but its always nice that it stays out in the open for you to see!! two sides!

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Might make feeding tough yeah, but its always nice that it stays out in the open for you to see!! two sides!
Lol! Ehhhh....kinda gotta flip it....all I see is toes lmao!!!

If im being totalllllllly honest....as of RIGHT NOW...I wish I had a friend in the hobby local to trade with lmao! 😂

Not feeling the whole arboreal thing!

But then again it's been a few days!...maybe my opinion will change 🤷‍♂️

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Lol! Ehhhh....kinda gotta flip it....all I see is toes lmao!!!

If im being totalllllllly honest....as of RIGHT NOW...I wish I had a friend in the hobby local to trade with lmao! 😂

Not feeling the whole arboreal thing!

But then again it's been a few days!...maybe my opinion will change 🤷‍♂️
Let it sink in!!! An an arboreal guy 100% they are awesome to me. Plus you’ll see some awesome growth with this species. I was amazed with size with molts in all my Psalmopoeus. I think your opinion will change, I hope for your sake or does cause there’s so many awesome arboreals.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Let it sink in!!! An an arboreal guy 100% they are awesome to me. Plus you’ll see some awesome growth with this species. I was amazed with size with molts in all my Psalmopoeus. I think your opinion will change, I hope for your sake or does cause there’s so many awesome arboreals.
I hope it does too! Would make my options so much broader!! Just being honest :)

Thanks!

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I hope it does too! Would make my options so much broader!! Just being honest :)

Thanks!
It would!! Just curious what made you not like it after just a few days of having it?

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
It would!! Just curious what made you not like it after just a few days of having it?
Well with a terrestrial/fossorial everything's sorta in front of you. With this guy he could be on the cork bark, either from the front or the back giving it kind of a more 3 dimensional feel. Also with the ground cover and such and being brown they can hide really well lol!

Also the feeding thing like we mentioned. I respect how fast these guys are and it already gave me a run for my $ during unpacking lol! So not super excited about feeding time. First feed was no problem but he was in his dirt curtain and I gave him prekill. But that's also sorta 3 dimensional if that makes sense. With terrestrials you put in the cricket or the worm...they eat lol. With these guys the feeders can climb, go behind the cork where you can't see it..etc etc.

I just feel like I can't see it at all times, which I can with Terrestrials/Fossorials unless they're in their hide (which you can still see them) or burrowed (but I know they're burrowed and usually where and I don't care lol)

Also since the container is so deep...i'd imagine spot cleaning to be much harder! I have an order of springtails on the way, not because I got this one just because I wanted some for the semi moist/moist enclosures.

I think its just going to take some getting used to while being cautious ofcourse...after some time and success and molts etc we can revisit! :)

Hey....you asked! 😏

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Well with a terrestrial/fossorial everything's sorta in front of you. With this guy he could be on the cork bark, either from the front or the back giving it kind of a more 3 dimensional feel. Also with the ground cover and such and being brown they can hide really well lol!

Also the feeding thing like we mentioned. I respect how fast these guys are and it already gave me a run for my $ during unpacking lol! So not super excited about feeding time. First feed was no problem but he was in his dirt curtain and I gave him prekill. But that's also sorta 3 dimensional if that makes sense. With terrestrials you put in the cricket or the worm...they eat lol. With these guys the feeders can climb, go behind the cork where you can't see it..etc etc.

I just feel like I can't see it at all times, which I can with Terrestrials/Fossorials unless they're in their hide (which you can still see them) or burrowed (but I know they're burrowed and usually where and I don't care lol)

Also since the container is so deep...i'd imagine spot cleaning to be much harder! I have an order of springtails on the way, not because I got this one just because I wanted some for the semi moist/moist enclosures.

I think its just going to take some getting used to while being cautious ofcourse...after some time and success and molts etc we can revisit! :)

Hey....you asked! 😏
Yeah a lot of those reason are why i like them so much! i love the more 3 dimensional feel! Maybe it just takes some time to get used to.

And yeah they are fast, you can always give the enclosure a little bit of a bump so they retreat into dirt curtain when it comes time to feed or do maintenance. My cambridgei's are very sensitive to when feeders are near by entrances or on bark and usually come bursting out to get them. Youll get used to it, at least I hope!

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Yeah a lot of those reason are why i like them so much! i love the more 3 dimensional feel! Maybe it just takes some time to get used to.

And yeah they are fast, you can always give the enclosure a little bit of a bump so they retreat into dirt curtain when it comes time to feed or do maintenance. My cambridgei's are very sensitive to when feeders are near by entrances or on bark and usually come bursting out to get them. Youll get used to it, at least I hope!
Cool to know! Thanks!

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Hey guys! Been a little while and my psalmo looks to be doing pretty well. Built a long tube of webbing behind the corkbark that it lives in....is this a sign of upcoming molt by any chance?

Also...if you look at the picture after I inverted it....the bottom part of the amac has plenty of ventilation. It has 5 rows on each side substrate level. It has 2 rows of 5 holes of cross ventilation on 2 of the 4 sides halfway up, and about 10 holes on each of the other sides cross ventilation. The only thing that doesn't have any holes is the "lid"....which it never even gets close to. I am also not a DIYer by a long shot...and get my enclosures pre drilled.

This is my first arboreal, and I know psalmopoeus aren't avics but I just want to double check this is fine with all the cross ventilation and holes above the sub. No signs of mold, nowhere near any condensation or any of that.

Your opinions are always welcome and appreciated!

Have a great week ladies and fellas!!