Will this heat mat be ok?

kooky

Arachnosquire
I am trying to find a way to heat my Dubia roach tub atm as i want to help promote them breeding. My house is usually in the 20-24~ (68-75) range but more often than not is on the colder side of that range (good old uk), so i only needed something that would heat them a few degrees warmer to reach the 26 (80) temperature that promotes breeding. I was scared to use anything too hot, as i previously had them above my fish tank sitting above the lights, but the plastic felt softer than usual after i checked on it a few hours later.

My question is would this heat mat be OK to sit underneath the tub, or would there be a risk of it melting either the plastic beneath it, of the bottom of the roach tub? I know heat rises so in theory the plastic beneath should not be at risk. But i am concerned about the bottom of the roach bin. I don't want to come home after work to find a melted mess. The tub isn't very big and this mat would easily be able to cover most of the bottom.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FRZYCFM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

basin79

ArachnoGod
I am trying to find a way to heat my Dubia roach tub atm as i want to help promote them breeding. My house is usually in the 20-24~ (68-75) range but more often than not is on the colder side of that range (good old uk), so i only needed something that would heat them a few degrees warmer to reach the 26 (80) temperature that promotes breeding. I was scared to use anything too hot, as i previously had them above my fish tank sitting above the lights, but the plastic felt softer than usual after i checked on it a few hours later.

My question is would this heat mat be OK to sit underneath the tub, or would there be a risk of it melting either the plastic beneath it, of the bottom of the roach tub? I know heat rises so in theory the plastic beneath should not be at risk. But i am concerned about the bottom of the roach bin. I don't want to come home after work to find a melted mess. The tub isn't very big and this mat would easily be able to cover most of the bottom.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FRZYCFM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I'd stick it on the side with egg crates lent against it.

kooky

Arachnosquire
I'd stick it on the side with egg crates lent against it.
oh okay, that makes it easier, i read somewhere about putting it underneath stop the roaches from getting burnt or something but if its fine on the side that makes it much easier, thanks!

RTTB

Arachnoprince
The side of enclosure is best. I would test it before putting the roaches in to see how hot it gets as well as if there is a risk of melting the plastic.

basin79

ArachnoGod
oh okay, that makes it easier, i read somewhere about putting it underneath stop the roaches from getting burnt or something but if its fine on the side that makes it much easier, thanks!
I'd always advise using a mat stat or another stat when using any heating equipment.

However a small at like that on the side of an enclosure should be perfectly safe as the heat will pass through and disperse into the enclosure. Just be aware that it will always be on so on the few hot days we do get the roaches could well overheat and die.

boina

Lady of the mites
I actually put my roach enclosure on some wood chunks (like 5 cm high) and then the heat mat under it, so that the heat mat isn't in direct contact with the roach bin. Works pretty well but I turn it off in summer.

grimmjowls

Arachnoknight
There will always be a risk. But adding a stat will lower the risk.

I keep my mat underneath my dubia breeding colony bin but only under half of it, so the roaches have a spectrum of heat to choose from.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Actually it's the opposite, roaches instinctively head downwards to escape heat, so putting it on the bottom is the most dangerous place to put it, the side is much better.

If you can't affix it to the side, then only put the heat pad under half of the enclosure, so that they do have a cooler area to retreat to, if need be.