Will they fight??

WhtsThFrequency

Arachnopeon
Brilliant....so I return from a winter vacation to find that my petsitter has left me a Christmas gift - another rosie - in the same tank as my first one:eek:

It is a 10 gallon tank so I am hoping there is enough space for them to both stake a claim...everything has been calm so far....can rosies ever be kept together or must they be seperate? If seperate I guess I am gonna have to drop another 50 bucks on tank + heat pad + cover....argh....

pinkzebra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They must be kept separate!! One will probably kill the other eventually. A setup for a rosie should not be anywhere near $50. Get a Kritter Keeper, put substrate in, a flower pot or coconut hide and a small water dish and you are all set. Unless your house is extremely cold, in the 50s or below, you don't need a heat pad. Using one only puts your T at risk of dessication.

I have heard of Ts living together in enclosures much larger than a 10 gallon, but I really would not risk it.

Good luck!

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No, they can not be kept together. You will end up with one fat T eventually.
There's no need to spend that much on a glass tank. G. rosea do not need that much room. A 10 gal tank would be the maximum. Instead, go get your new rose a Kritter Keeper (12"x8"x8"). It's plastic and cheap. Burry a cup in the substrate and give it a dish, done. Congrats on the new pet.

Yeah, what Exkrhla said.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I just had something like this happen. I have a tank with 4 dividers in it but the metal screen top does not lay flat if I dont put something on top of it. Well I forgot one day and one rosie went over to the other side to say hi to its sister and got murdered. So yes to answer your question get her out of there and into another container. Even if its not a tank or anything elaborate. Just move her till you figure out something else.

rYe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I wish people would randomly leave me T's, just not in the same tank. :)

WhtsThFrequency

Arachnopeon
My apartment gets to 65 degrees at night at the very lowest, that isn't too cold? Hmm....no heating pad would be nice (I could transfermy frog to the heated one! heh ) the second rosie is in a critter keeper with some hidey-holes. It's younger than my current but I must admit has quite a striking pink to its head and more coppery legs/abdomen.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
65F at night is fine.

If you really want a 10 gallon and have the space, then PetSmart typically sells them for around $10 and a screen is another $7 or so.

Good luck.

Becca

rYe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I keep my rosie in a 10 gallon glass tank with a few inches of dirt, she likes to bulldoze and dig around every now and then. So I'm speaking from experience on this, that tank is gonna weigh a ton. Besides the weight set back I love the glass tank. Ermac is a pretty active girl so all the room to web is cool, great show piece opportunity.

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Bump to what is already said, a medium KK (12X8X8), a 5g or if you really want a 10g will do your trick. No way $50 should be spent for a 10g tank with the works. I expect 20-25 at best for everything and even that is a high estimate. I paid roughly $7 total to get stuff for my aureostriata setup, that included a small KK (9X6X6), a clay pot hide. The bottle cap was obviously from a water bottle and i bought a bag of peat moss for $4 or so but the amount in there can fill another 3 or so KKs at the same size. Good luck with your new T! congrats! :clap:

Last edited:

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It's awesome that you got a free T and all, but you need to give that petsitter a STERN talking to. It's only sheer luck that the newcomer didn't murder your pet, or vice versa.

EDIT: Also, never hire her again. I don't think I'd be able to even speak civilly to someone who was that careless with my animal's life.

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
petsitter

If the petsitter you chose to watch over your pet, put 2 Ts together in the same enclosure, then either she didnt know much about Ts or was careless with your Ts life. She needs an education about proper T care. Id be leery about letting her petsit again.

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ditto to the petsitter thing....I'd be livid, even though neither spider was harmed.

WhtsThFrequency

Arachnopeon
Honestly I cannot be mad at her - she's a friend of mine and I hired her to watch my fish and my gecko, I didn't tell her anything about the T except how much I liked it. I can't really blame her....she doesn't know anything about them, and I didn't tell her to do anything to it, so it didn't in the faintest occur to me to give her a detailed account....oh well, both are seperate now.

WhtsThFrequency

Arachnopeon
Thanks and yes I feel lucky.

I certianly told her after the fact and she was horrified and apologized profusely. Its probably more my fault since I didn't tell her anything about the T, since she was not going to be needing to take care of it. Oh well. All's well that ends well.:eek:

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks and yes I feel lucky.

I certianly told her after the fact and she was horrified and apologized profusely. Its probably more my fault since I didn't tell her anything about the T, since she was not going to be needing to take care of it. Oh well. All's well that ends well.:eek:
Glad things worked out well! congrats again! :D

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Good, I'm glad they aren't together anymore and I'm glad there were no injuries. You are lucky. Hope you enjoy the new T.