Will these work for a sling?

SamiB

Arachnopeon
I’m planning on purchasing a Caribena versicolor sling soon and I was wondering if these containers will work well for them? The largest size is 5x6, the smallest is 3x4(ish). I’m wondering if those will be tall enough for it, there are others that are slimmer and taller as well. I want something that will look nice and keep my new little guy happy too. Thank you!

Attachments

squirrelystar

Arachnopeon
Im sure they'll work. They will need good cross ventilation. Do you know what size sling you'd be getting?

I've got mine in an upside down amac box, looks nice in my opinion. They also have the upside of not destroying any of their webbing when opened.

A lot of keepers use deli cups. If you can find crystal clear ones they'd look fine too. The lids are pliable so you can open a portion of them to keep from tearing apart their webbing.

Both options mentioned above are cheaper as well, but if you like the look of those jars in particular they'll work.

SamiB

Arachnopeon
The description said between 1/2”-3/4” and I’d be drilling holes in the side for ventilation!

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Be careful with the size of the holes. I've had slings escape through holes I thought were small enough to prevent escape...

aphono

Arachnobaron
These can work. The possible cons are: making den right up by the lid(huge pro for deli & AMAC enclosures) & the sling may actually be far from the advertised size- if that happens, it's usually much smaller, occasionally larger. Both happen often. So I'd worry about those enclosures proving to be far too large if the sling comes much smaller than expected. a tip- drill really small holes first or wait until the sling arrives so you know which size bits to use.

Perhaps a cork tube would discourage it from webbing under the lid. Other than that, put a leaning piece of bark with lots of decorations or cork pieces in hopes it will den there instead.

Also good idea to have other enclosures in different sizes on hand in the event the sling size is not what you expected. Perhaps the local stores might have food storage containers to your liking. Walmart & the grocery store by me have super clear food storage containers, however the lids are white. I dislike the white lids very much but the excellent visibility offsets that a lot.. helps if the container is more or less at eye level.

SamiB

Arachnopeon
I actually ordered something different which I think will work a little better (I hope). The dimensions are 5x8.5 and I’ve ordered a taller piece of bark as well as a tipped soldering tool to keep the ventilation holes small. Does this all sound right? If it’s too tall can I just fill it with more substrate? This is my first tarantula, I’m typically used to snakes where bigger is better haha

Attachments

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I actually ordered something different which I think will work a little better (I hope). The dimensions are 5x8.5 and I’ve ordered a taller piece of bark as well as a tipped soldering tool to keep the ventilation holes small. Does this all sound right? If it’s too tall can I just fill it with more substrate? This is my first tarantula, I’m typically used to snakes where bigger is better haha
That should be a fine size -- I don't worry about giving Avicularia (or Caribena) slings a little extra vertical space. They'll climb to the top and make their webbing up there.