Will the sac be fertile?

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I just checked on my P. irminia and she is holding another eggsac!

I pulled her last sac at the end of February. One 11 eggs made it to 2nd instar.

She started eating really well right after I pulled the first sac. A week or two ago she webbed herself back into the corner of her enclosure.

Are P. irminia known to double clutch?

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
ot necessarily known to, but all species seem to double clutch from time to time. so yes, there is a chance the second sac is fertile. i would just treat it as if it were fertile untill proven wrong. good luck wih it, maybe this time you'll get more live slings!

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've heard that P. cambridgei usually double clutch, so it's no great stretch to imagine P. irminia does the same. Sometimes.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Yes, cambridgei are rather well known for double-clutching, its no surprise that irminia does too. Treat it just like its fertile.

-Sean

Last edited:

Sharpy808

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have been told that it is quite common for this species to double clutch. I had spoken to a breeder just a month or 2 ago about breeding this same species and he says they will tend to avarage around 30-35 eggs per sack (his experience).

Let us know how it goes with the second one.

GL

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yeah, I searched the boards and found a few things on P. cambridgei double clutching. I just couldn't find anything on P. irminia. I will definately treat it as fertile until I find out for sure.

I'm not sure if she put enough webbing around this one. I can kind of see yellowish stuff through the web. I hope it doesn't dry out or anything.

I'm going to leave her alone with it and see what happens.

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I pulled the sac today. There are 5 eggs w/leggs and the other eggs look pretty good too. This double clutch was fertile! Yay! Now I'm hoping for more than 11 deveoping.