Will peppermint harm tarantulas?

Caribena

Arachnopeon
Any information known is a massive help!

I live in an accommodation with my boyfriend and his tarantulas and snakes, one of the guys here has a problem with bed bugs. Luckily we haven't had the issue yet but I want to prevent it from happening full stop. I've seen online people use peppermint to prevent them but I've also seen that they use peppermint to prevent spiders coming, what I'm asking is if I use peppermint will it harm my partners tarantulas?

Last edited by a moderator:

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
I think it's typically recommended you don't use anything with strong scents, candles, air fresheners, stuff like that. Probably just better keeping your room hoovered, clean and clutter free. Bedsheets clean and mattress hoovered.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Tell the dude with bedbugs to stop being a degenerate at fix the problem. Let him know if you get bed bugs thanks to him being a pig, you’re going to charge him for the cost it requires to clean them in your unit.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Tell the dude with bedbugs to stop being a degenerate at fix the problem. Let him know if you get bed bugs thanks to him being a pig, you’re going to charge him for the cost it requires to clean them in your unit.
Or set a dozen house geckos free to eat the bed bugs.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Prevention by being clean of your living space is your best course of action, but if someone near you has then you may too already idk but maybe gets a mattress cover that seals shut. Treating bed bugs with peppermint I have never heard about but treatment to reverse problem can involve bug bombs and fumigation, which would not be good for your partners tarantulas

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
you live in a house ? and one of the guys has bed bugs in his room. if thats the case your best bet is hire a pest guy to cook the entire house and kill em before they spread into your room if they arent already

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
Who even gets bed bugs?? It's like a 16th century peasant farmer ailment

Poonjab

Arachnoking
You should watch some episodes of hoarders. These are the types of people who spread things like bedbugs. Unfortunately, you can be a clean person and still get them. But generally it’s because you picked them up from some degenerate who’s been harvesting them in their house with 3 feet of crap piled up on the floor.

jc55

Arachnoknight
They can also stay dormant in tiny cracks and crevices along molding and walls from previous infestations and suddenly appear for no good reason but they are something you want to address right away.There are many methods to kill them but most will probably be harmful to tarantulas.

Doodlebird

Arachnoknight
Kinda depends on your definition of peppermint. A mint plant or peppermint candy wouldn't hurt your T's (or the bedbugs for that matter). But something like a peppermint essential oil could be harmful. I would thoroughly clean your house change sheets vacuum etc. and see if that helps. If not then I would go for an exterminator.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Maybe try a peppermint patty. The way she abused Charlie Brown, is pretty telling on how she would handle the bed bugs.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Any information known is a massive help!

I live in an accommodation with my boyfriend and his tarantulas and snakes, one of the guys here has a problem with bed bugs. Luckily we haven't had the issue yet but I want to prevent it from happening full stop. I've seen online people use peppermint to prevent them but I've also seen that they use peppermint to prevent spiders coming, what I'm asking is if I use peppermint will it harm my partners tarantulas?
They drive ants away. Wouldn’t use with Ts

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
Diatomaceous earth is what I recommend to deal with bedbugs! Just keep away from direct contact with the spiders

Caribena

Arachnopeon
Thanks all!! Its not a house its an accommodation above a pub so :/ if it were a house i’d move out lol

jc55

Arachnoknight
Diatomaceous earth is what I recommend to deal with bedbugs! Just keep away from direct contact with the spiders
I agree with using Diatomaceous earth to get rid of them as it is fast and effective and great for keeping them from coming back and second that it will kill your Tarantula as well if it comes into contact with the T.It is also a very fine powder that will spread fast and be careful not to breath any in while using it as it can cause respiratory problems as well.

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They're freaking EVERYWHERE in Colorado right now because people keep spreading them around by being idiots. People get infested, throw their bed bug ridden furniture to the curb and then other people are like ooo free couch! And bring it home and rinse and repeat. Also I worked housekeeping in several hotels, and honestly I just recommend no one stay in a hotel in Colorado Springs, Cripple Creek or Denver if it can be avoided...

jc55

Arachnoknight
They're freaking EVERYWHERE in Colorado right now because people keep spreading them around by being idiots. People get infested, throw their bed bug ridden furniture to the curb and then other people are like ooo free couch! And bring it home and rinse and repeat. Also I worked housekeeping in several hotels, and honestly I just recommend no one stay in a hotel in Colorado Springs, Cripple Creek or Denver if it can be avoided...
Used furniture is a risky venture anyways and a big source of bed bug infestation and one of the reasons i will not get used furniture.I also used to clean furniture professionally and you would be surprised and scared to see some of the furniture we were hired to clean because some people live like animals.

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Used furniture is a risky venture anyways and a big source of bed bug infestation and one of the reasons i will not get used furniture.I also used to clean furniture professionally and you would be surprised and scared to see some of the furniture we were hired to clean because some people live like animals.
Oh I'd believe it. People are nasty. The rooms I've had to clean from long term guests in hotels... :sick: I quit at one hotel because I kept getting assigned to a regular nicknamed "Bloody Mary" She would hide feminine hygiene products in weird places like the top of the ceiling fan blades. Used ones. :vomit:

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
Oh I'd believe it. People are nasty. The rooms I've had to clean from long term guests in hotels... :sick: I quit at one hotel because I kept getting assigned to a regular nicknamed "Bloody Mary" She would hide feminine hygiene products in weird places like the top of the ceiling fan blades. Used ones. :vomit:
Ok that’s hilarious and disgusting. Why didn’t she get banned from the hotel?!?