Will people have a hard time transitioning to the Brachypelma revision?

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
As we all know, the Avicularia genus recently underwent a revision. Multiple species were moved away from it into their own new genuses, Ceribena and Ybyropora to name a few. People made the switch remarkably fast, and I haven't seen someone mistakenly refer to the C. versicolor as an A. versicolor in awhile now. Will that be the case for a genus as popular, famous and beloved as the Brachys? I know it's just a simple change: the smithi's name is being changed to homorii or something and the annitha is being changed to smithi. The reason for these changes perplexes me, as long as they're in the appropriate genus I don't see any reason for a name change, but whatever. Will people be able to switch very quickly, or will this name change create confusion for a long time? I STILL see people referring to the G. pulchripes as the "aureostriata", even though that name was changed almost a decade ago.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Lets just read the paper when it is published before we make any conclusions on if it will be hard for people to adjust to the new scientific names for hobby stock. If the differences between Brachypelma hamorii and B. smithi are easily seen via pictures, then I imagine it won't be hard, but if the differences are in the anatomy which can't be readily seen, then yes expect a lot of debate and confusion.

People were quick to start using Caribena versicolor, for example, so easily because that species is so distinct you can identify it from a picture. Some of the other changes to species nomenclature in Avicularia not so much because a lot of the differences not only use color and pattern, but anatomy as well.

penngomifan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Question? Why the Switch? Is there a link or article I Could read up on? The hobby has changed a bit sense I was last in it... Everything is getting new names, the Tarantulas that were once 50$ For an adult MAX are now $150 for slings ....

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I tend to avoid threads that discuss the species involved in the revision. My head is still spinning from all the new details.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
It's hard for me, at least. I haven't had much issue with the Avic revision but for some reason I can never remember the new sp name for smithi :banghead:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Question? Why the Switch? Is there a link or article I Could read up on? The hobby has changed a bit sense I was last in it... Everything is getting new names, the Tarantulas that were once 50$ For an adult MAX are now $150 for slings ....
The only reason that it's going to be difficult to transition is because some dealers are already using the new names. Which is frankly irresponsible because the research hasn't been published yet. What's going to make this transition difficult is not the new names but rather that the new names were adopted by some before the change happened.

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
As we all know, the Avicularia genus recently underwent a revision. Multiple species were moved away from it into their own new genuses, Ceribena and Ybyropora to name a few. People made the switch remarkably fast, and I haven't seen someone mistakenly refer to the C. versicolor as an A. versicolor in awhile now. Will that be the case for a genus as popular, famous and beloved as the Brachys? I know it's just a simple change: the smithi's name is being changed to homorii or something and the annitha is being changed to smithi. The reason for these changes perplexes me, as long as they're in the appropriate genus I don't see any reason for a name change, but whatever. Will people be able to switch very quickly, or will this name change create confusion for a long time? I STILL see people referring to the G. pulchripes as the "aureostriata", even though that name was changed almost a decade ago.
I'm confused, when did avics undergo some name changes? I know they did awhile ago, but if the change was more recent like in the past 6 months I'm probably not up to speed. . Lol.
And what is C. versicolor? I googled it, it said it was a Oriental garden lizard. Is that what you're talking about? XD

It is hard for me to get used to name changes, obviously. Lol. I'm sure the more the name changes the more I'll get confused. :D

Last edited:

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I'm confused, when did avics undergo some name changes? I know they did awhile ago, but if the change was more recent like in the past 6 months I'm probably not up to speed. . Lol.
And what is C. versicolor? I googled it, it said it was a Oriental garden lizard. Is that what you're talking about? XD

It is hard for me to get used to name changes, obviously. Lol. I'm sure the more the name changes the more I'll get confused. :D
It was like three weeks ago bud. The Avicularia versicolor is now the Caribena versicolor, for example. The thread is here.

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
:rofl: I had the same search results, I thought "What the...?" lol. You have to actually type in "Caribena versicolor" to get proper search results. Although most info is still going to say Avicularia.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
We want people to use the scientific names to avoid the confusion of the common names. Now we will have a different species called Smithi.
Makes no sense to me. :meh:

Guess all one can do is wait and see, @Moakmeister

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I have trouble transitioning to a new pair of shoes, so...

Actually, when they started jiggering about with Elaphe obsoleta obseleta, (Black rat snake) I was never able to figure out what exactly mine is, so I said "Screw it, I won't be lecturing at a symposium about it, so MINE will remain Elaphe obsoleta obsoleta." I expect I will take the same stance on B. smithi. :D

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I for one still have trouble calling my C. lividum a "C" instead of "H"...

I fear for far worse with my habits calling them B. smithi... it may never go away... or maybe just in time for them to switch it back...

It's like new years and dates all over again. Every time I start finally writing the correct month, it changes...:(