Will my tarantula be ok?

Jonny1284

Arachnopeon
Hi, I'm currently on holiday and Iam away for one week. I have a giant white knee and before I left I fed her and putfresh water in the tank. I'm now starting to feel very scared I case she becomes too dehydrated as no one would be there to put fresh water in and it would become dry very soon. I also would like to know if it would be better to put a water bowl in there because I had one in before but I took it out due to her needing a lot of space as she was growing. Thanks, I could really do with somereplies as I haven't been on holiday when I've had her yet and I've had her for about 1.5 years.

Thanks, Jonny

kooky

Arachnosquire
If she ate a nice juicy meal before you left as well there is no worries. Its only a week so im sure she will be fine :) I would wait and see what others say though as im pretty new to the hobby myself.

hennibbale

Arachnosquire
Well, I do usually feed them 1-2 times a week so there are no problems.

Or you can ask a friend / somebody in your family to look after it?

Trenor

Arachnoprince
That depends a lot on the size of the tarantula. Most likely, though, if it has water it'll be fine. Going without food for a week is usually not a big deal.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I also would like to know if it would be better to put a water bowl in there because I had one in before but I took it out due to her needing a lot of space as she was growing.
So... there's not a water bowl? How did you "put fresh water in", then?

I'm assuming that this is a sling. If you gave it a bit of humidity right before leaving, then you should be fine. A week isn't really much to bat an eye at.

Jonny1284

Arachnopeon

I'm assuming that this is a sling. If you gave it a bit of humidity right before leaving, then you should be fine. A week isn't really much to bat an eye at.
Well it's a juvenile and to give it water and to moisten the cage, I spray water in and that seems to help a lot

Jonny1284

Arachnopeon
Well, I do usually feed them 1-2 times a week so there are no problems.

Or you can ask a friend / somebody in your family to look after it?
I would but can't trust anyone in my family and if I do ask them, there will be a bigger risk of a problem than there is now

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
If you are concerned, you can always put another water dish in while you're on holiday. Also, if you were to ask someone to look in on them and make sure their water dishes are full, but you are concerned that the person might not have the experience needed - position the water dish under a hole in the lid and the person can use a syringe to get the water into the dish from the hole in the top of the enclosure. That way, they don't even need to open it up and it will prevent an escape or other mishap.
If you are only away for a week, there shouldn't be anything to worry about. Even if their water dish dries up, it will probably only end up being a couple of days without water and they will be fine.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
Well it's a juvenile and to give it water and to moisten the cage, I spray water in and that seems to help a lot
one week for most tarantulas without any kind of care really isn't a big deal. I'm concerned about your statement here though, do you mean to say there's no water dish in there for it? That could be a problem. What do you mean moisten the cage? You say you spray water in.. do you mean you just mist the webs and sides? Or do you actually wet part of the substrate?

ok, so here's my opinion. Based on what I'm inferring here, and I kind of hope I'm wrong. If you only misted the cage before you left, it may be fine, it may not. Really it depends on how well fed it is. When you get home, do not change, shower or stop for anything other then putting your bags down. Go straight to your tarantula's enclosure and add a water bowl of some kind. Depending on the size of the enclosure it could be anything from a soda bottle cap to a peanut butter jar lid in size but put it in there and fill it with fresh water. Then keep it clean and full forever.. Tarantula's will all, without exception, appreciate access to fresh, free standing, fresh water. Don't put in a sponge.

Good luck. :)

kooky

Arachnosquire
i think i misunderstood you, when you originally said you put fresh water in the cage i thought you meant you had a water bowl for it. At that size it probably should have one. better to have constant supply of water than just a bit when you spray it.

But even so im sure it will be fine, tarantulas barely bat an eye at a week 90% of the time.

Last edited:

louise f

Arachnoangel

Haha, Sherlock holmes :D Just joking friend. I must admit it was a bit confusing reading that text, first he said it had a water bowl the next he said he took it out.
So what should you rely on right.

And to you @Jonny1284
First of all since it is an juvi no necessary to feed it more than every 8-10 days.
If it has a water bowl as you first said, filled up and you gave it a big meal before leaving. There should be no problem with going on vacation for a week.
Have a great vacation ;) And relax It`ll be fine :)

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Tarantulas can easily go without water for a week, especially if they are well fed beforehand. They will be fine.

Jonny1284

Arachnopeon
one week for most tarantulas without any kind of care really isn't a big deal. I'm concerned about your statement here though, do you mean to say there's no water dish in there for it? That could be a problem. What do you mean moisten the cage? You say you spray water in.. do you mean you just mist the webs and sides? Or do you actually wet part of the substrate?

ok, so here's my opinion. Based on what I'm inferring here, and I kind of hope I'm wrong. If you only misted the cage before you left, it may be fine, it may not. Really it depends on how well fed it is. When you get home, do not change, shower or stop for anything other then putting your bags down. Go straight to your tarantula's enclosure and add a water bowl of some kind. Depending on the size of the enclosure it could be anything from a soda bottle cap to a peanut butter jar lid in size but put it in there and fill it with fresh water. Then keep it clean and full forever.. Tarantula's will all, without exception, appreciate access to fresh, free standing, fresh water. Don't put in a sponge.

Good luck. :)
Hi, yes there is no water dish but have got one so will put it in straight away when I get home, and I wet one half of the tanks substrate and from what I've seen, it drinks the water from the substrate. Also it is fed well and regularly and looks good and healthy. Thanks

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Yeah, if there is room in the enclosure for a water bowl, there 100% should be one. Even for the most arid loving species (GBB for example). This is especially true if you're going away for a while, but is true regardless.

Jonny1284

Arachnopeon
Yeah, if there is room in the enclosure for a water bowl, there 100% should be one. Even for the most arid loving species (GBB for example). This is especially true if you're going away for a while, but is true regardless.
Thanks

Jonny1284

Arachnopeon
Haha, Sherlock holmes :D Just joking friend. I must admit it was a bit confusing reading that text, first he said it had a water bowl the next he said he took it out.
So what should you rely on right.

And to you @Jonny1284
First of all since it is an juvi no necessary to feed it more than every 8-10 days.
If it has a water bowl as you first said, filled up and you gave it a big meal before leaving. There should be no problem with going on vacation for a week.
Have a great vacation ;) And relax It`ll be fine :)
Hahah and thanks a lot for all the help

Jonny1284

Arachnopeon
i think i misunderstood you, when you originally said you put fresh water in the cage i thought you meant you had a water bowl for it. At that size it probably should have one. better to have constant supply of water than just a bit when you spray it.

But even so im sure it will be fine, tarantulas barely bat an eye at a week 90% of the time.
Thanks a lot, I will put one in as soon as I get home

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Hi, I'm currently on holiday and Iam away for one week. I have a giant white knee and before I left I fed her and putfresh water in the tank. I'm now starting to feel very scared I case she becomes too dehydrated as no one would be there to put fresh water in and it would become dry very soon. I also would like to know if it would be better to put a water bowl in there because I had one in before but I took it out due to her needing a lot of space as she was growing. Thanks, I could really do with somereplies as I haven't been on holiday when I've had her yet and I've had her for about 1.5 years.

Thanks, Jonny
Er? What's a "giant white knee?"