Will it come down?

pede2

Arachnopeon
Just got a B.boehmei and right when I transferred it into its enclosure it climbed the corners and will not come down..
I know for sure its a female.. A 3"
Shes on coco fiber, that I just bought and some cork bark and a water dish...
When will she come down??
I know they go up there if the substrate is bad.. But its new..
PLEASE HELP!:?

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
She sounds totally fine . Can you post some pics ? They usually do that because the substrate is wet or damp . They will come down after the substrate dries out a little . But pics would help :)

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just got a B.boehmei and right when I transferred it into its enclosure it climbed the corners and will not come down..
I know for sure its a female.. A 3"
Shes on coco fiber, that I just bought and some cork bark and a water dish...
When will she come down??
I know they go up there if the substrate is bad.. But its new..
PLEASE HELP!:?
if you bought the coco coir brick you have to soak, like smallara said its probably due to excess water in the sub. they like it pretty dry, so i normally make my sub a week/two weeks in advance so it can air dry with no rush or buy the premade kind.

but also ime, i set my boehemi's cage up fine, and it still decided to hang out in a corner of the enclosure for about a week, maybe longer. just make sure in your case that your sub is pretty high (i think the Ts footspan and 1/2 is about the reccomendation) up so if she does drop, the fall is short and wont cause harm. it might just be an acclimation thing too, she's taking stock of her new surroundings, etc. or both.

probably both :)

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
As stated, the substrate may be too moist. Or she is just getting use to her new home. A lot of my Ts did this when they were unpacked and put into their new enclosures, and the substrate was dry.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
If the substrate it dry, then it's likely just getting used to it's new surroundings and not feeling quite secure yet. Just make sure the substrate is deep enough that if it falls, it won't hurt itself. Once it settles in, I'm sure it will be back to normal, terrestrial, tarantula behaviour.

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
See, nothing to worry about. :) Normally takes them some time to get used to their new enclosure. Once is familiar with it, they normally web a bit(my B. smithi made quite nice webbing on the side of the enclosure after she stoped climbing the walls for about 3 weeks(and substrate was bone dry), after that was fine. :)