Will it be ok to feed my LP sling crickets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGod

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This might be a stupid question but I've read they're scavengers at this age. I've got some very small crickets about a fraction of a cm. Would they be ok to feed to my LP sling that's about 1.5 cm's?

TGod

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sorry people I was a bit on the tipsy side when I asked that. I meant to ask can I feed my sling LIVE crickets of appropriate size? I'm just weary of crickets these days they seem to have a bad rep.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
Sorry people I was a bit on the tipsy side when I asked that. I meant to ask can I feed my sling LIVE crickets of appropriate size? I'm just weary of crickets these days they seem to have a bad rep.
The only risk is leaving the cricket in with a moulting spider, so as long as you remove any uneaten crickets, it’s fine. If you can tell that your sling is going to moult soon but you still want to offer prey, then you can pre-kill to be on the safe side, but otherwise, your sling may very well take live prey.

This might be a stupid question but I've read they're scavengers at this age. I've got some very small crickets about a fraction of a cm. Would they be ok to feed to my LP sling that's about 1.5 cm's?
Hi
no issues with feeding crickets to slings.I use only crickets as food for my slings.Just pick appropriate size or smaller as if you feeding only few spiderlings your feeders will likely outgrow them pretty fast.
Sometimes the small slings will take only prekilled tho.Just find out what works for you.
Regards Konstantin

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
What is it with pre-killing things nowadays anyways? Why's everybody so worried about slings (or full grown Ts) getting devoured by the feeders? I don't know about you guys, but I don't toss a feeder in and go do something else - I always make sure my T does catch the prey first! Because, again, dunno about you but I enjoy watching them hunt. Sure, they'll scavenge, but there's no real need to feed pre-killed usually. And unless you're a breeder with hundreds of spiders to feed where pre-killed makes sense for being a little less time-consuming having to watch every T - the general keeper can't tell me they all have no time to watch their T's.

I don't get it, some people risk their T's feeding them potentially harmful stuff (i.e. mice - newsflash - a full grown mouse is perfectly capable of killing your T! And no matter what you say - you do that because you enjoy watching the mouse suffer and your T acting out - not because the T benefits. It doesn't actually at all!), others kill everything they offer. Is everyone just opening the hatch, toss in feeder, close hatch and leave only to check a day later

Do what you like to, but I'm gonna stick to what has been proven working for me and many others for ages now. And yes, that includes tong-feeding Avic-type slings and the occasional adult. ;)

To the OP - if hasn't been obvious I don't see a problem feeding crickets to a sling. Just use micro / small one depending on spider size, make sure it does catch the prey and you and your T will be just peachy.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
but I don't toss a feeder in and go do something else - I always make sure my T does catch the prey first! Because, again, dunno about you but I enjoy watching them hunt
Yeah I have fed live prey to almost everything I’ve owned except for all but the smallest dwarf slings. And I would sit there and watch them hunt.....I don’t understand people that don’t......and if they don’t take prey relatively soon while sitting there watching I just take it out immediately, don’t ever leave it in. Never any risk to a T.
s everyone just opening the hatch, toss in feeder, close hatch and leave only to check a day later
Hahahaha I feel like this is how some people feed. Like feeding is one of the best parts watching them be the ambush predators they are!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I mean...are people feeding their H. chilensis only prekilled because they're dwarfs and so cute and slow? Blows my mind...mine eat like pigs - they just take a while making up their mind before attacking. Yet, I read people give them the rep of being bad eaters that fast for months. Honestly, in the almost 10 years I've kept mine, that happened perhaps twice.

Anyways, derailed this thread long enough. Apologies.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
You asked if it was okay to feed your sling live crickets that are smaller than your tarantula. Why would that be an issue at all? I'm dumfounded that you would ask that at all. Secondly you are in possession of an LP. LP's, A genics, theraphosas etc are insect garbage cans and will eat anything that gets too close including your fingers. Like I said it was a stupid question I am sorry but it's a fact. Cricket drumsticks and chopped mealworms aren't natural in a wild slings diet.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
You asked if it was okay to feed your sling live crickets that are smaller than your tarantula. Why would that be an issue at all? I'm dumfounded that you would ask that at all. Secondly you are in possession of an LP. LP's, A genics, theraphosas etc are insect garbage cans and will eat anything that gets too close including your fingers. Like I said it was a stupid question I am sorry but it's a fact. Cricket drumsticks and chopped mealworms aren't natural in a wild slings diet.
Scavenged insect parts are completely natural as part of a wild sling's diet. So are small live prey. It's not ridiculous to feed pre-killed, nor is it dangerous to feed live prey (as long as the T isn't about to moult). Not everything needs to be so black and white, y'all. Let's all just chill and enjoy our dang pets.

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
If you do research first, then come back with a specific question and show you've put some effort in then you won't be given a hard time.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
Go to google.com, type your question in as you would ask here. You will most likely be brought to a page that has several Arachnoboards posts to choose from that are related to your question and you can read through the information to answer your own question without even asking a question thats already been asked a hundred times.

A 1,000 times easier in my opinion.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
If you do research first, then come back with a specific question and show you've put some effort in then you won't be given a hard time.
This thread is proof that that’s not the case. The OP did some research, came away with the mistaken impression that everyone feeds pre-killed and thought that might mean there was a reason to avoid feeding live prey. They then came in here with a specific question: is it safe to feed live prey? They phrased their question poorly in the opening post, but clarified quickly.

Sometimes members of this community do in fact pile on with the sarcastic responses and dragging the OP. It’s often in response to someone who could be argued to have earned it, but occasionally someone who has earnestly tried to learn gets caught in that firing squad because they cared enough about treating their animal right that they asked for reassurance and clarification in the face of an internet full of crappy information.

Let’s not pretend we’re all wise but stern gods here - we have bad days too, and sometimes we take our frustration out on the newbies.

TGod

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This thread is proof that that’s not the case. The OP did some research, came away with the mistaken impression that everyone feeds pre-killed and thought that might mean there was a reason to avoid feeding live prey. They then came in here with a specific question: is it safe to feed live prey? They phrased their question poorly in the opening post, but clarified quickly.

Sometimes members of this community do in fact pile on with the sarcastic responses and dragging the OP. It’s often in response to someone who could be argued to have earned it, but occasionally someone who has earnestly tried to learn gets caught in that firing squad because they cared enough about treating their animal right that they asked for reassurance and clarification in the face of an internet full of crappy information.

Let’s not pretend we’re all wise but stern gods here - we have bad days too, and sometimes we take our frustration out on the newbies.
Thaaaaank you

Status
Not open for further replies.