will i be ok keeping hissing roaches in a critter keeper?

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my main concern is their youngins. will roach babies be able to crawl out through cracks?

Cockroach

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I keep my roaches in rubbermaid tubs, so since the tubs have no holes and the critter keepers do, I'd assume a critter keeper would be an escape waiting to happen:) . Critter keepers are way over-priced and rubbermaid tubs are very cheap, so a rubbermaid tub would probly be your best deal on a container for the roaches.:D

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i got my hissers in a large kritter keeper. just put vasaline around the top of the tank but below the holes. youll be able to control the population easily as long as you have a few hungry Ts and scorps and whatever other preditory bugs

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
A kritter keeper will be fine as long as you apply a 2" barrier of vaseline around the inside, otherwise they will get out. reapply vaseline every month or two(when you clean the cage).

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I was on my way to a presentation with our city's Optimist Club. Had my hissers in a Kritter Keeper. All of a sudden, I felt something crawling on the back of my neck... it was a BABY hisser!!! When I pulled over, I discovered 50 of them crawling around in my car... I didn't even know one was pregnant!!!!

What fun it was trying to rescue them all!!!:D

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
lol too funny I dont have to worry about that atm I havent had succes breeding any of the roaches I get a hold of [lack of patience I think] I end up feeding them all to my t's lol

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Mine just sorta did it on their own! No soft music, low lights or alcohol of any kind!

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Better to have happened in your car rather than your house. Even if most people say they can't breed in house temps, it's still something I'd rather not risk :p

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Nah, it would have been better in the house... the cats are SO much better at finding these little things than I am...;)

Zaddavm

Arachnopeon
Critter keepers are way over-priced and rubbermaid tubs are very cheap
I used to be in total agreement with that. For years I hated them and thought they were a complete waste of money. I now believe they have their place: they are lighter than glass, more transparent than Rubbermaids, and provide quite a bit of ventilation just the way they come. I think that if you want to be able to see your pets clearly, and as long as precautions are taken to prevent escapees they are a great compromise.

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Hissers.com
I used to be in total agreement with that. For years I hated them and thought they were a complete waste of money. I now believe they have their place: they are lighter than glass, more transparent than Rubbermaids, and provide quite a bit of ventilation just the way they come. I think that if you want to be able to see your pets clearly, and as long as precautions are taken to prevent escapees they are a great compromise.

theyre not expensive if you get them at pet shows. i got a large one for $4. everything at petshops are overpriced.

Cockroach

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Every thing in my area is way too overpriced:( . As for the need to see my roaches: I understand their need for almost total darkness, and keep their tubs in an area of my room(a corner) that has a blanket blocking-out 95% of light. My roaches aren't display animals, so I leave them to do what roaches do:D.

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i got my roaches and i put them in a rubbermaid tub...i don't know how much ventilation they need so i'm just poking a bunch of tiny holes in the top. i have no idea if theya re too big or small. hopefully big enough for them to have plenty of air and small enough that their babies (hopefully they'll have babies) won't be getting out.

Zaddavm

Arachnopeon
Try to give them as much ventilation as possible. Here's an idea: Cut out most of the center of the lid, then melt a piece of screen over the hole with a soldering iron. Then you'll have ample ventilation, and the screen will be fused to the plastic so as to prevent escapees. Here are some pictures of one of my baby B. dubia tubs:
http://www.hissers.com/screenlid.html