Will handling a tarantula from a sling cause it to be "sweeter"?

SkittleBunny

Arachnosquire
I'm getting my first tarantula soon, an Avicularia Versicolor. I've done so much research for nearly a year now, and I think I'm ready. I would like to handle it every so often, and I was wondering if someone who has been in the hobby for a while could answer a strange question. Would handling it from its youth cause it to grow up more docile? I wish they could understand affection.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No, it won't. Tarantulas don't like being held and you would be stressing it immensely if you handled it often. These are not a hands-on pet, think of them like fish.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Especially an avic. If you do intend on trying to handle I would pick a slower moving terrestrial. ( I am not recommending or condoning handling any T) and no I would not expect the T to "get used" to you. It's just not something they do.

Avics are fast, very fast. Especially when young. It will most likely end in a lost avic.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Nah, they're wild animals and don't really have the inclination or even the capacity to "get used" to it. To them you're an enormous potential predator. There are certainly some genus and species that are more laid back in general but that doesn't mean its a good idea to handle them as it doesn't benefit the tarantula and if it decides to suddenly bolt (remember, wild animals) it could end up in a hurt, dead, or lost spider...they're very fragile, especially the abdomen. If you feel you must handle your tarantula (not recommended but people are gonna do it if they are determined) then an A. versicolor isn't a good one for that. They are fast, pretty skittish, and they can and will jump. Add to that the fact that this is your first tarantula and its a recipe for nothing good.

Just focus on getting your husbandry down and appreciate it for the awesome (and with versicolors especially, very beautiful) spider that it is and respect the fact that its a wild animal that has no desire to be handled or played with and you'll be ok. When I first started I wanted to handle mine as well (its understandable) but I changed my mind after reading this forum and talking to people here.

Matabuey

Arachnosquire

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
The best way to show your tarantula affection is by caring for it properly. That means providing the correct housing, moisture, and temperature conditions, and NOT handling it. At the best, your tarantula will see your arms as big fleshy tree branches, and may attempt to climb all over them. At the worst, it'll see your arms as invasive predators that are an immediate threat to its life, and attempt to flee or attack. It's not worth the risk of harming or losing your tarantula. Just don't do it.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Why do you have to be so snide? Why not just give her/him the info straight off the bat, in case they've been reading caresheets...
Probably to make sure they've done their research properly. And besides, Poec wouldn't be Poec if he didn't have comments like that haha.

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
Probably to make sure they've done their research properly. And besides, Poec wouldn't be Poec if he didn't have comments like that haha.
Well doing your research properly (to most) usually consists of using Google, which would turn up plenty of wrong caresheets on sites that are "dedicated" to T's. Not everyone knows to come on this forum and seek the correct answer.

Perfect way of helping a new person into the hobby, by immediately greeting them with snide comments. That's how you drive people away from these forums and potentially lead them to giving their tarantulas the wrong care - fantastic.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Why do you have to be so snide? Why not just give her/him the info straight off the bat, in case they've been reading caresheets...

Nothing snide about. I'd like to see the OP have a positive experience with their first spider. We've seen many beginners here who done 'a lot of research' who don't know the basics. I'd just like to see what they don't know, so we can fill in the gaps. Why don't you try to be a little less critical with people who have different approaches than you? You've had spiders a few months and shouldn't be critiquing people with years/decades of experience with both spiders and helping people.

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
Nothing snide about. I'd like to see the OP have a positive experience with their first spider. We've seen many beginners here who done 'a lot of research' who don't know the basics. I'd just like to see what they don't know, so we can fill in the gaps. Why don't you try to be a little less critical with people who have different approaches than you? You've had spiders a few months and shouldn't be critiquing people with years/decades of experience with both spiders and helping people.
Except you haven't helped them. Instead of your pointless comment, you could've done what I did, linking them to a thread where someone actually tries to help with some useful advice delivered in a proper manner. Not basically saying "humour me with how bad your enclosure will be".

I'm allowed to critique the way you talk to people, as plenty of people have said it about you. It doesn't matter whether you've got decades of experience, I'm not questioning that. I don't know why you always bring that up, is your ego that sensitive? That you constantly need to remind people that you're the Tarantula God of AB?

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Except you haven't helped them. Instead of your pointless comment, you could've done what I did, linking them to a thread where someone actually tries to help with some useful advice delivered in a proper manner. Not basically saying "humour me with how bad your enclosure will be".

I'm allowed to critique the way you talk to people, as plenty of people have said it about you. It doesn't matter whether you've got decades of experience, I'm not questioning that. I don't know why you always bring that up, is your ego that sensitive? That you constantly need to remind people that you're the Tarantula God of AB?
I think you are assuming a tone which is impossible to read over text. So unless he put a grouchy emoticon, it's impossible to say that, with his exact words, he was being snide.

Please us how you're going to have the cage of the Avic.
Yeah, nothing snide here...

cold blood

Staff member
Try reading the "please" in a really drawn-out sarcastic tone in your head. It almost works then. :rofl:
How you read it is your choice, its not directly reflective of how the person writing it meant it...by that logic I could find a snide comment in literally every post I read. Like if I read your "try" in the same ridiculous fashion, your comment could be perceived as snide (which was not how I perceived it, I'm just sayin').

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
How you read it is your choice, its not directly reflective of how the person writing it meant it...by that logic I could find a snide comment in literally every post I read. Like if I read your "try" in the same ridiculous fashion, your comment could be perceived as snide (which was not how I perceived it, I'm just sayin').
Oh I agree completely--I didn't find Poec's comment snide at all, haha.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor

Another derailed thread with your bickering.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
I don't know why you always bring that up, is your ego that sensitive? That you constantly need to remind people that you're the Tarantula God of AB?
Personal attacks are not necessary and not welcome . Posts need to be on topic with the OP and meant to be helpful in nature . Your input is more then welcome but please be civil . Thank you .

Last edited: