Will a scorpion eats its own molted skin?

skotzo

Arachnopeon
I purchased a Cape Burrowing Scorpion three months ago. Last week, it molted for the first time while in my possession. I did not remove the molted skin right away. a few days later, the molted skin was no longer there. There is only one scorpion in the 10 gallon tank and no other critters. Did the scorpion eat the skin, bring it down into its underground dwelling or something else? Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks.

CapeBurrowingScskin02.jpg CapeBurrowingScskin01.jpg

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
They don't eat the exuvia. It must have torn it apart to remove evidence, many arachnids do this.

GordoOldman

Arachnoknight
Caught mom (Centruroides gracilis) eating the exuvia from the litter on her back...largest litter yet...not sure if she ate all them, but watched her consume several before letting her have the dark (I always feel guilty holding flashlights on them...)

Attachments

Harmonicon

Arachnoknight
I purchased a Cape Burrowing Scorpion three months ago. Last week, it molted for the first time while in my possession. I did not remove the molted skin right away. a few days later, the molted skin was no longer there. There is only one scorpion in the 10 gallon tank and no other critters. Did the scorpion eat the skin, bring it down into its underground dwelling or something else? Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks.

View attachment 353070 View attachment 353069
One thing is for sure, it didn't eat it.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
I bet if you shine a black light on that enclosure you'll answer your own question. I can always tell when one of mine has moulted by the fresh deposition of glowing bits around the burrow :rofl: