Wildlife Photography!

spider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well don't we have a photography thread for your portraiture and inanimate objects; so how about your wildlife?

I'll start it off with some simple guidelines, as well as a photo.

One Photo per post.
Chat concerning photos or photo tips is welcomed.
Doesn't matter the quality, as long as we can tell what it is!
Be creative!
Photo can be indoors in a set up scene.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hehe I was waiting for one of these...
beautiful snake, is it acotton mouth?

Balloning wolfie? I regret now having higher shutter speed on this one.

spider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes ma'am, Eastern Cottonmouth I believe

You need to shoot with a flash, it really helps to just stop time in its tracks!

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah I don't have a good flash for the powershot g10, which I use atm for macros, while I am learning the reverse 28mm I got the other day w/ flash on my rebel.
woooo~!

spider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Check into some Macro extension tubes . For this shot, I used my old EOS 50D (15mp) on SS 1/160, ISO 100, f5.6 with a 12mm, 25mm, 32mm (I think) Macro Extension tubes attatched to a Pentax K Mount (Manual focus) 28-70mm f2.8 lens at 70mm. Don't forget though, shooting with a cropped sensor (1.6x on the 50D, and the EOS 60D, it then effectively becomes 44.8-112mm)

You can get Macro extension tubes to fit an EF mount camera and lens, I think. Check eBay.com :)

This Crab spider here was roughly 1/4" across...

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have a few pictures from trips to the park.
Nothing special, but I love it:D
I'll post a few of my favorites.

TomM

Arachnobaron of Pennsylvania
Old Timer
This is one of my favorite pictures that I have ever taken. This is the uncropped and uneditted version:

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Check into some Macro extension tubes . For this shot, I used my old EOS 50D (15mp) on SS 1/160, ISO 100, f5.6 with a 12mm, 25mm, 32mm (I think) Macro Extension tubes attatched to a Pentax K Mount (Manual focus) 28-70mm f2.8 lens at 70mm. Don't forget though, shooting with a cropped sensor (1.6x on the 50D, and the EOS 60D, it then effectively becomes 44.8-112mm)

You can get Macro extension tubes to fit an EF mount camera and lens, I think. Check eBay.com :)

This Crab spider here was roughly 1/4" across...
Oh very nice! extension tubes are big. the spider in my photo is about 1/3 inch or so, so not too bad, tiny and cute!

spider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice shots everyone!

Crysta, extension tubes are a little large, but they're worth it. Macro bellows are sweet as well!

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
You like squirrels, Chris? I never would have guessed.

Rather than post any of the countless pictures of exotic stuff from trips, I figured I'd throw up this one taken in the ditch at the front of my property last year.

I like it. I think the composition is decent and the DOF is just about right. A bit more glare than I'd like, perhaps, though my reflection in the snake's eye would suggest that I was not using fill flash but rather I should have maybe done some shadowing.

Cheers,
Dave

Attachments

spider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Beautiful snake, Skinhead. Try using a sun swatter sometime, it reduces the glare.

This was an average size Ribbon snake, found this one in Central Mississippi.
I'm assuming he was just trying to get a look of things around him.

For the lighting in this shot, I used a promaster 7500edf with an RPS studio mini softbox. The flashes power was on 1/32 at 35mm.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Beautiful snake, Skinhead. Try using a sun swatter sometime, it reduces the glare.
I've used one before, only I called it "my hat" or "my shadow." There's only so much you can carry around in the field with you.

Edit: I will add that I've been considering making a bit more of a sophisticated "sun swatter" (never heard that term until now) than my hat. I have some sun screens that you put in your car when you park. they have a stiff ring exterior that sort of folds down to a much smaller circle. I was thinking about cutting the center out of one and replacing it with a loose weave fabric. Would do the trick and collapse down nicely.

Cheers,
Dave

Last edited:

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh-oh! its a snake!! (badger song?) beautiful pictures you two, I love these reptiles so intriguing! (i wanted to study herpetology back in the day, but i've failed my 2 college biology classes so far these 2 terms....dont think thats going to happen now :()

Gartersnake, powershot g10, 13cm. Youngin.
all natural lighting... i just baked her up in a sunny spot shooting from the tree branches...

they are going to eat the squirells... j/k ;p

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Great shots everyone!!! I love the one with the squirrel with like one arm off the tree! Here is one of mine.

spider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here's a Gulf Coast toad I caught in Baton Rouge last year.