Wild UK Species help please?

davyat78

Arachnopeon
Hi guys, new to the forum so hello! Have a couple of these beasties (photos) in the garden and wondering if you can help identify. They have a messy hanging type Web on an underhang on the garden fence. I immediately thought false widow but I'm in Cheshire and didn't think they were that common this far north. Total body length is about 12mm, legspan about 20mm ish. Hard to scale as don't want to put my thumb too close ;) or scare the poor thing.

Attachments

Last edited:

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Welcome to the forum 😊
She is a steatoda I have 2 I found in my house I now keep as pets n I live in tyneside (north east) so you get em everywhere here in the uk . She's a very pretty one 😍 they are technically false widows but they would rather hide than bite she's nothing to be worried about and they are so funny to watch hunt those bk legs go mental as she wraps her food 😆 almost looks like they're dancing 🤣 enjoy your new friend she's a nice find 🙂

davyat78

Arachnopeon
Thank you! I thought she was but wanted to make sure. Haven't seen her catch anything yet (or her friend on the next fence panel) but I guess that happens more at night. Appreciate the response, I will go and talk to them more often now, ask them if they can eat more mozzies!!! 😀

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Yes she'll eat at night , mine do 😊 I thoroughly enjoy them, mine live in pots on my tarantula bench , they're called Lady Flytrap aka Venus, and Sundew never see Sundew she hides in a crack in her cork bark but Venus that girls always out and as I said watching her hunt its hilarious those little legs 🤣 20220804_203504.jpg
This is my girl Venus she's about 1cm n obviously due a moult as her booty is huge 😆 you'll have fun with yours they are the most chilled spiders I have n I have 63 t's and 10 true spiders 5 of them being native spiders 😊 hopefully you'll enjoy your girls as much as I enjoy mine 😁

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Easy way to tell Latrodectus from Steatoda. Look at the first image profile. Abdomen is humped forwards in front and rounded at the back. Latrodectus, abdomen goes straight up in from and the rear is pointed

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Easy way to tell Latrodectus from Steatoda. Look at the first image profile. Abdomen is humped forwards in front and rounded at the back. Latrodectus, abdomen goes straight up in from and the rear is pointed
Learn something new everyday thank you Snark 😊