Wild T's in Houston?

DylanScully009

Arachnopeon
I went collecting in Phoenix and had no problem finding T's. I was wondering what the density around houston is like. I'm going on a collecting trip there and was hoping for any insights both general and specific (specific spots?)

Feel free to say what ever you like but anything on not collecting in the wild is a waste of your time with me.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
I went collecting in Phoenix and had no problem finding T's. I was wondering what the density around houston is like. I'm going on a collecting trip there and was hoping for any insights both general and specific (specific spots?)

Feel free to say what ever you like but anything on not collecting in the wild is a waste of your time with me.
Why are you collecting them?

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
I don't? Understand? Why would you choose to take from wild populations if you can get the species captive bred???

Kibosh

Arachnoknight

Your the kinda people that ruin the hobby.

Do you at least document specific locations, species, habitats, behaviors, ect? Or is it just "gunna take me da bugs cause I like em!" Regardless of the harm you might be doing?

So sad. As an American T keeper it's pathetic.

I suggest you stop and educate yourself.

We have a lot of rare and regional desert T's in the SW that can be unique even valley to valley.

If you know the T's your harvesting are not endangered, are taking good care of them, and are documenting your findings, then more power to you and I am sorry.

If not gladly going to report you.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Could it be that you mistake the world for Walmart? Is it not important to you that your grandchildren can see the world as you do?

DylanScully009

Arachnopeon
Like I said you're only going to waste your own time. Taking two tarantulas from the wild in different states every three years hurts nothing. Have fun reporting I guess? lol.

When I collected in AZ there were so many that they were being run over all over the road. Any claim of me hurting their population is ridiculous. Since you feel so strongly about this, I'm assuming you've formed your opinion from some up to date literature that I should "'educate myself" with. I would like to see it please

And I clearly specifically asked about density, as I did before I went to AZ, in order to go to dense unthreatened areas.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Taking two tarantulas from the wild in different states every three years hurts nothing. Have fun reporting

When I collected in AZ there were so many that they were being run over all over the road.
1. Just because you can take them doesn’t mean you should, clearly you don’t care about that principle.

2. You aren’t the only one raping nature. I’ve been to many shows and I see tons of this species for sale all WC, cheaply. It’s not about one person, it’s about everyone.

3. So many, that’s what I say about humans on the planet. There’s so many you can take one and it wouldn’t matter. Maybe if you were taken from your home you wouldn’t care, after all there’s so many humans, right.

4. There’s no point in taking WC Ts when captive bred is easily found. But hey, keep up with your selfish behavior.

What comes around goes around.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
OP could take a couple of T’s from their own collection, get to their destination of choice, release them and capture them. Could have some very rare wild caught captive bred T’s, or double wild caught if none of his are captive bred.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Grandfather always said: "If you want to see what is yours, all you have to do is close your eyes!"
And he was always right! 😉

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Grandfather always said: "If you want to see what is yours, all you have to do is close your eyes!"
And he was always right! 😉
I like that!

Where I live there are very few preservations, all cities and over populated with people. To see what little of nature is left is gut wrenching. There’s a region not terribly far from where I live and every year tarantulas cross the road to breed, all the traffic stops, I hope to see it one day.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Texas Browns (Aphonopelma hentzi) range goes into the Houston area. If you are going to harvest, don't over harvest. If you wind up with a breeding pair, release some of the babies into the wild.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
I don’t recommend taking from the wild. You can buy a CB az blonde for $30. Just don’t over collect

If you are looking for ironclad beetles, look at night

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Mod Note

Although this post does not violate any of the rules, and everyone is free to share their opinion on the matter of collecting tarantulas from the wild, we will not allow the sharing of exact location info in this thread. If you wish to disclose exact location information of tarantulas in the Houston, Texas area, do so by private message. We do not want to aid anyone from using the information in this thread, which is viewable to the internet public without needing an account, to collect en masse.

This is a rule of the Field Trips (Natural Habitats) forum that will be enforced here.

"Do not reveal specific locale information. This ensures the protection of the animal and it’s habitat from collection. If you wish to share locale information with specific individuals, please do so by utilizing the private message function rather than posting in a public thread."

Last edited:

Table

Arachnosquire
@DylanScully009 how did you expect to not get ridiculed? have you read the forum? wild caught is a big nono. right beside cross breeding. idc who you are there is no good reason Tom get WC when there are so many CB.