wild tarantulas

mischaaussems

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've seen a few threads concerning natural set-ups, and they look great. I've been looking for some information on natural habitats but it's difficult to find. Do people have pictures of T's in the wild, with a clear view of their habitat. I would like to know soil type, info on the burrows etc... you name it.
greatly appreciate your help......

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't have any right now but keep looking on this sight, on my pic thread. I'll be posting some soon.

ricneto

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've seen a few threads concerning natural set-ups, and they look great. I've been looking for some information on natural habitats but it's difficult to find. Do people have pictures of T's in the wild, with a clear view of their habitat. I would like to know soil type, info on the burrows etc... you name it.
There are some pictures in Rick West website that I think are from natural habitat, (blondi's at least :worship: ) either that or very good setup. :razz: http://www.birdspiders.com , the link to this site is on arachnoboards. I guess it might be easier to find reptiles that live in the same area and search in reptile websites. some have very good pictures / descriptions of natural set-ups.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I bet you'll get a bunch of these after Arachnocon. I hear there's all sorts of field trips and such. I'm sure there will be no shortage of cameras there!

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
It has been discussed plenty of times.

the following is primarily for burrowers and other terrestrials.
but the same idea applies to arboreal and the air they are kept in.
-----

For the most part, the habitat of a T is not the ground surface of the area in which it lives.

Their real habitat is below the surface... very different numbers in terms of temp and humidity.

It is many people's beliefs that we should replicate the burrow.. and not worry about the outside.

Obviously there are T;s more prone to drier conditions, places like african scrub where even 12 inch deep holes in the ground might still be bone dry for much of the year.

so as for 'natural' you should be careful with your parameters.

Good luck.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
what species?

mischaaussems

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm mainly interested in the outside of the burrow just for aesthetical reasons. The spiders can create their own burrow. For instance I've seen pictures of Brachypelma smithi hiding beneath rocks and in cracks. I've made a set-up with cracks, rocks and enough substrate beneath that to dig a burrow. I keep my T's in my livingroom. A lot of T's stay in their burrow, and I think it's nicer to look a nice looking empty set-up than just an emtpy set-up. :)