Wild tarantulas near Oklahoma City

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
We just moved from Orlando to Oklahoma City and are wondering if there are any wild tarantulas or other neat inverts anywhere near the Oklahoma City area. Does anyone know?

Also, on a related note, is there any pet shop around here that caters to exotics? I'm having trouble finding a reliable source for fruit flies to feed my dart frogs.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't know about pet shops because I'm not from around there but you should be able to find A. hentzi T's, C. vittitus (spelling) scorpions and S. poloymorpha centipedes. Those will be the main ones but there might be other things specific to the area that I don't know about. Good luck.

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
I don't know about pet shops because I'm not from around there but you should be able to find A. hentzi T's, C. vittitus (spelling) scorpions and S. poloymorpha centipedes. Those will be the main ones but there might be other things specific to the area that I don't know about. Good luck.
Those are the exact ones I'm looking for.

Any idea one what area of the state I should be going to search?

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think there are places all over that state with them. There are A. hentzi in every state surrounding too so, I'm sure you won't have to look far.

KingBowser

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm also in OKC. I've found A. hentzi's all over, typically out in less urbanized parts. Also, if you so desire a little day trip you could drive down to Lawton(about an hour from OKC) and find A. wichitanum.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
We just moved from Orlando to Oklahoma City and are wondering if there are any wild tarantulas or other neat inverts anywhere near the Oklahoma City area. Does anyone know?

Also, on a related note, is there any pet shop around here that caters to exotics? I'm having trouble finding a reliable source for fruit flies to feed my dart frogs.
petcos are everywhere and sell fruit fly cultures

blacktara

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've lived here less than a year and have seen lots of Oklahoma browns and snakewise - rat snake, bull snake, cocachwhip, and a western diamondback

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Go down by Sulphur,OK and you can find wild T's. Near the Arbuckle Mtns. 10 Acre Rock to be more specific ;). Google it, you will find it there

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer

A. hentzi shoudl be there
Also i dont know about exotics but Petco here has fruit fly cultures

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thanks for all the help everyone! Anyone want to go with me?
ummm how do you mean that ROTFLOL

thats a pretty long drive for me to go looking for A. hentzi lol
but i may get a wild hair and decide to go up north lol
i would like to go to Lawton and look for the wichitanum tho...

bushbuster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh, yeahhhhhh... a dream trip to Lawton, lol Ya better take plenty of fluids, lol and watch out for all the meth heads, they will steal yer car, lol

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Oh, yeahhhhhh... a dream trip to Lawton, lol Ya better take plenty of fluids, lol and watch out for all the meth heads, they will steal yer car, lol
is lawton thay bad? maybe it should be called lawlesston

bushbuster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I dunno, never been there, but i know of a few that had state paid vacations there with meals and everything!

blacktara

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Now wait a minute

Lawton aint bad - it's an Army town. Meth is unfortunately a problem all over Oklahoma, but it's not like the streets are filled with chickenheads.

The Wichita Mountains on the other hand, are flat out awesome. Best kept secret in the US if you ask me. Only other place I've been where you'll see as much wildlife so easily in the lower 48 is Yellowstone - and it's great biking

If anyone ever heads to Lawton, drop me a PM

josh_cloud

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
look into getting some termites
Thanks for all the help everyone! Anyone want to go with me?
though i live in ms, we have a trip planned for the spring. i'll be up for some invert hunting then!

Sooner

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A few years back, I've came across two wild A. hetzi in Edmond parks. Finding unusual stuff shouldn't be too hard here, I found a centipede in my home after that last thunderstorm that came through.