Wild Tarantula Update

Randy Bauer

Arachnopeon
Our wild tarantula seems to be thriving here in CA. The photo shows her at the top of her burrow which is at the base of a garden light. I've had some concerns, firstly there an an owl who perches on the roof, just above the burrow. I understand owls will only eat tarantulas if other sources aren't available. Hopefully it is keeping full on mice. My real concern is a roadrunner that has been frequenting the neighbor's property. We like having it around as a rattlesnake deterrent, but I'm sure it will eat our T if it finds her.

Attachments

dopamine

Arachnobaron
That is a gorgeous spider. I had no idea california even had tarantulas until reading about these. A. eutylenum?

Paiige

Arachnobaron
How lucky! What a beauty, I'd love to have an outdoor T friend :)

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
She is gorgeous! You're fortunate to get such a good look at her! Usually all I ever find are mature/subadult males and the occasional juvenile or dwarf, with the big females sticking close to their burrows (and disappearing into them before I can get close enough for a picture).

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That is a gorgeous spider. I had no idea california even had tarantulas until reading about these. A. eutylenum?
There's quite a few out here, much like there's quite a few scorps in AZ =)