((( Wild Florida Spiders 2012 )))

John Koerner

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello all!

Wishing everybody a very Happy New Year! Haven't been collecting much over the last few months, but this very warm weather has made me blow the dust off the ol' camera, so I thought I would share some new 2012 Florida Spider Images :biggrin:

NURSERY WEB SPIDER ♀
(Pisaurina mira)

CELLAR SPIDER ♀
(Pholcus phalangioides)

SPITTING SPIDER ♂
(Scytodes globula)

BARK LYNX - juv
(Hamataliwa grisea)

RED BEAUTY JUMPER ♀
(Phidippus pulcherrimus)

SWIFT CRAB SPIDER ♂
(Mecaphesa celer)​

Enjoy :)

Jack

Last edited:

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Great pics man!, thanks for sharing. Post more lol
Later, Tom

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Great pictures, thank you!

Curious, how did you ID some of these? I thought S. globular was from chile (natural predator of Loxosceles laeta).

Not nitpicking, just curious :)

John Koerner

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Great pics man!, thanks for sharing. Post more lol
Later, Tom
Excellent photos!!Thanks for sharing!
-Chris
ahhhhhhh!! gotta love livin in fla! awesome pics.
Mindblowing pics. Thanks so much for sharing.
Love the pictures!
Great pictures, thank you!
Curious, how did you ID some of these? I thought S. globular was from chile (natural predator of Loxosceles laeta).
Not nitpicking, just curious :)

Hey, glad yall enjoyed the pics! Will try to post more as the warm weather progresses :)

In reference to the ID on Scytodes globula, I received a 'probable' ID on this spider, by Dr. GB Edwards, Curator of Arachnida & Myriapoda for the Florida State Collection of Arthropods, who wants me to bring the specimen to him for microscopic confirmation.

What you said is correct; however, the species is synanthropic (co-exists with man) and it has been confirmed that it has come into North America. As a matter of fact, the Pale Cellar Spider (Smeringopus pallidus), as with all Cellar Spiders (aka: "Daddy Longlegs") is likewise a non-native transplant to Florida, much like Xhexdx's newly-found Cithaeron.

Jack

Last edited:

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
very cool John....have you also noticed scytodes thoracica or is what I find globula...also have you found these to be somewhat nomadic or invaders of parasteatoda , pholcus.....also is the leg span an 3/4 to an inch....just curious is all....if it is the same they are spider predators or web robbers....I have seen the little black [fusca I think] make webs for trapping and are not nomadic

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
As always, Jack, great pics.

Can't wait to see more. :)

--Joe

John Koerner

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi John;

I wish I could give you a satisfactory response, but this particular specimen is the only one I have ever found (actually, I found two together in the same spot), which was inside an old dog house of mine :)

So I know nothing about their behavior. I can tell you, however, that Scytodes thoracica does exist in Florida, along with 5 other described species.

---------- Post added 02-09-2012 at 11:49 AM ----------

As always, Jack, great pics.
Can't wait to see more. :)
--Joe

Hey Joe, good to see you too :)

You know, I am embarrassed to recall that I never processed and sent the photos Tina took of all of us spider hunting last year, which reminds me to go ahead and do so. As a matter of fact, I think I will do a blog post on the subject within the next two weeks, that I am pretty sure will be fun for all to read :D

Cheers & Happy New Year!

Jack

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Hey, glad yall enjoyed the pics! Will try to post more as the warm weather progresses :)

In reference to the ID on Scytodes globula, I received a 'probable' ID on this spider, by Dr. GB Edwards, Curator of Arachnida & Myriapoda for the Florida State Collection of Arthropods, who wants me to bring the specimen to him for microscopic confirmation.

What you said is correct; however, the species is synanthropic (co-exists with man) and it has been confirmed that it has come into North America. As a matter of fact, the Pale Cellar Spider (Smeringopus pallidus), as with all Cellar Spiders (aka: "Daddy Longlegs") is likewise a non-native transplant to Florida, much like Xhexdx's newly-found Cithaeron.

Jack
Thanks for the reply.

I actually agree that it looks like S. globula, based on the morphology and leg length. I'm glad you are exploring the option of having it professionally ID'd, as I had not heard of any being on record in Florida. Spiders establishing in Florida never surprises me, you lucky bastards get new spiders all the time :)

I don't want to talk the topic away from your pictures tho, they are great and I'm glad you shared them with us! Thanks again for the reply!

John Koerner

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for the reply.
I actually agree that it looks like S. globula, based on the morphology and leg length. I'm glad you are exploring the option of having it professionally ID'd, as I had not heard of any being on record in Florida. Spiders establishing in Florida never surprises me, you lucky bastards get new spiders all the time :)
I don't want to talk the topic away from your pictures tho, they are great and I'm glad you shared them with us! Thanks again for the reply!

Sure, no prob.

Actually, though, S. globula is already confirmed to be in Florida, via Santa Rosa County. Dr. Edwards believed my find is another confirmation of the spread of the species, through these photos, since it is synanthropic, and I am going to provide the specimens for him for confirmation. (And yes, since Florida is essentially the hub for imports/exports, and since it's also semi-tropical, we do get our fair share of exotics--which can be good and bad--think Fire Ant for bad :mad: )

Don't worry, I don't think you're taking away from anything at all, I think it makes the thread more interesting, actually :)

Cheers,

Jack

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
well...of course this spring Ill be in naples if all goes well and Ft. Pierce to collect a few vagans....thanx for the reply John...scytodes have allways been a fave of mine

John Koerner

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am fascinated by them too; I just don't have the knowledge of their behavior, etc., like Dr. Edwards has. However, what I do have is a pretty good camera setup, and so what I can do is try to take some closer shots of these I have, for interest-sake, before I send them on to "El Profesor" for analysis :D

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
Ya know I have also seen all the lynx you have posted from time to time...would like to someday get some...awsome pics

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The lynx spiders are everywhere, you shouldn't have a problem finding them. :)

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
joe...viridans Ihave found everywhere....I really have never seen the others....when I am down I am putting them on the hunt list

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
heh heh ...... a tent....
my eyes.... my illuminated glass....some $&!^kickers....my field hook and plenty of vials and cups ....and my back pack carrying that and a few other items......when I see family down there ....they never really see me lol