Wild Caught VS Captive Bred?

user 666

Arachnobaron
Hey,

So on Reddit, I had posted some pics of my babes, and someone gave me mild grief about having wild caught.

Now, before you put your two cents in, I just want to justify why I have wild caught vs captive bred.
I've looked online for a breeder, but there aren't any here in this country as far as I can tell. If there are they're few and far between. I have a 38-acre farm with millions of tarantulas. So, my only option, if I'm going to keep any, is that, catch.

HOWEVER. I recently got a male who's got large sperm filled pedipalps. I'll be releasing him once I find another to put in his place.
I'm not sure the species, but he's docile as all hell. Won't even attack my feeder tweezers. Unlike Celeste.
Celeste I'll be keeping, she's a prize, large, well fed, healthy and I have to say digging for her like an archeologist had its appeal. She's a feisty one!
My arboreal one, whom I named Blueness I'll be releasing once I find one to take her place too. My parents and I have agreed three are enough.

But, hey. If anyone can legally send a tarantula to Costa Rica. I'd be more than willing to consider having captive bred.

Now... I don't know why wild aren't as desirable as captive bred. I'd have thought having a wild, without any chance of cross breeding or whatnot would be nice. Though, again. I'm a recent convert...
I know of people who live in the tropics who keep wild hermit crabs around by feeding them, putting out shells, etc - jut for the entertainment value.

Do you think that would be possible with tarantulas?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Moat of my Avicularia/Ybyrapora/Carbeina set ups. All identical care. IMG_20170423_215938519_HDR.jpg
Recrntly transferred A aurantiaca
IMG_20170423_215954099.jpg
Not so recently transferred A avicularia
IMG_20170423_220001173.jpg
C laeta 1.5"
IMG_20170423_220018856.jpg
A sp Peru purple

All have high vent and low humidity. Easy peasy once set up.
PS for actual pics of the spiders, check my instagram link in my sig. all have been featured once or twice.

Leila

Arachnobaron
@Kat Maehl, the deli cups are the cheaper option. If there is a grocery store near you that has a deli section with prepared foods and such, you can just ask them for a couple. One deli gave me 5 for free even after I offered to pay for the containers.

You can also check at any store that sells food storage containers. You just want something with some height, as well as a container you can pierce through to make ventilation holes. :)

Kat Maehl

Arachnopeon
We don't have delis here, third world country... We have those chinese green food containers but they don't come in clear, and they're low.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I would take a wild caught tarantula over a captive bred one any day.

Why? Genetic diversity. I plan on breeding all of my spiders, and as such, genetic bottle-necking is a very real concern. For instance, my Phlogius sp. "Black Presley" is likely related to every other one in this country. That's not good in terms of breeding in the long term, any biologist will tell you that. I like to have fresh blood, and as such, I'll take a WC if given the opportunity.