wild caught T's

VxXDJXxV

Arachnopeon
How many people have caught wild T's for their collection, what types, and how r they adapting to captivity

octoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a female 4" Aphonopelma seemani that was wild caught, but spent over a year in captivity before I got her. She seems well. She's very active at night, loves to climb and sit in her dish, eats well, and she is now going through pre-moult... which is something I haven't experienced with her yet.{D

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
maybe it is better to reverse the question... how many people are sure all the spiders they have are CB?

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have personally caught three A. hentzi and I plan to catch more. Mate them and return some of them back from where I found them. They seem to adapt just fine. I don't think T's in general care just so long as they are provided what they need to survive. I don't think they realize anythings happened.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I don't think T's in general care just so long as they are provided what they need to survive. I don't think they realize anythings happened.
This. Obviously the actual catching and transport and new environment freak them out, just like they'd freak if they were picked up and moved twenty feet in the wild and then put down again. But my only potentially wild-caught T, the standard petshop G. rosea, seems to be just fine and doing normal rosea things...which is to say, doing absolutely nothing. :)

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
All my WC T's are very healthy and very well adapted to captivity.

A friend of mine always catches T's from the wild (from a field that belongs to a friend of him), and they adapt pretty well. They eat and live healthily for years and years.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
I don't think they realize anythings happened.
As long as environmental conditions are stable, and such a short distance is traveled they probably don't realize much of a difference.

But WC from places like Central and South America, the temp shock and travel can sometimes be beneficial by stimulating sac laying in gravid WC females. But if poorly shipped followed by improper care, they seem to go into 'shock' and never recover.

-Sean

spider_fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm pretty sure my G. rosea is WC, and she is nice and calm most of the time but occasionally she gets real jumpy.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have a few WC...... G rosea and two Haplopelma lividum, as well as my asian fawn........ they all are adjusting just fine, oh I have one WC blondi as well. But as I already mentioned I have never had a problem with them. But I still try to buy CB before I buy WC.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This. Obviously the actual catching and transport and new environment freak them out, just like they'd freak if they were picked up and moved twenty feet in the wild and then put down again. But my only potentially wild-caught T, the standard petshop G. rosea, seems to be just fine and doing normal rosea things...which is to say, doing absolutely nothing. :)
I've plucked them right out of the ground and all three of them did nothing. Transporting them was nothing because of the way I pachaged them up, I think. Like I said, I've actually dug them out of the ground and they all acted like they had been handled before. No reaction and no thread of any kind so in my experience, they were not freaked out when I picked them up or moved them.

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'll be carful, some are infested wit parasites like mites
and may have internal parasites also, the ones u can not see

NeitherSparky

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My one and only t, a 4-5" female a chalcodes, was WC. Her butt was *really* bald, and it is a docile species, so she may have been mishandled/otherwise greatly stressed when captured. But she seems fine in her tank. I dunno if she "doesn't care" that she's in a captivity or not, though.

aliceinwl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
All my Ts are wild caught and seem to have adapted fine. With some, I've caught them and put them in a deli cup for transport, given them a few minutes to settle down and then dropped in an insect and had them eat. All of the Ts I've caught have been ravenous and readily accepted the first meal I offered them even if they were only captured minutes before. I personally captured all of my wild caught Ts or received them from friends, however, so I know that they were not subjected to the rough treatment that many of the Ts commercially collected for the pet trade are.

I've read about the use of things like gasoline to flush tarantulas such as T. blondi out of their burrows as well as horrible packing and shipping conditions. These will take heavy tolls. Also many middle men, petstores, etc receiving wc Ts will not provide them with a proper habitat which can exacerbate existing problems and lead to knew ones. I think that problems with wc Ts are more often than not due to abuse and injury than failure to adapt to captivity (provided they are given the proper habitat).

-Alice