Wild Caught Time Lengths

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I have seen ST, MT, and LT, used to describe wild caught arachnids and I am curious to know if the time period for each of those is a hobby standard or just something that each seller determines for their own?
This is what I have found and I need to know if this criteria is the same across the board for the hobby.
Thanks!

Short term (ST) - recent to 4 months in captivity.
Mid term (MT) - 4-12 months in captivity.
Long term (LT) - 12 months or more in captivity.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I personally haven't seen this yet, but I gotta say, I wouldn't consider 12 months to be "long term" in the tarantula world o_O That's not even one molt cycle for many adults.

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
Bruce-Arachnophiliacs goes by that on his site, But I would assume it's at the discretion of each individual seller.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Time in captivity really has more importance in the reptile world, not the tarantula one.

Of course if you're hoping for a fertile eggsac or a cool fly larva to pop out of your spider's abdomen, then maybe it matters. ;)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have seen ST, MT, and LT, used to describe wild caught arachnids and I am curious to know if the time period for each of those is a hobby standard or just something that each seller determines for their own?
This is what I have found and I need to know if this criteria is the same across the board for the hobby.
Thanks!

Short term (ST) - recent to 4 months in captivity.
Mid term (MT) - 4-12 months in captivity.
Long term (LT) - 12 months or more in captivity.
I've seen these abbreviations in the herp hobby long before I owned Ts. It's totally subjective, just like sling/juvi/sub-adult and the sizes w/each. ALWAYS ask how long the seller has owned that T and who the source was etc etc etc.

For example, I don't consider 1 year a long time.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I don't like to support wild caught and will normally not buy a wild caught tarantula.
Yes, I am concerned about parasites. Although I know that it is a rare situation, I have seen enough photos and stories about people having the issue that I will do just about anything to avoid it - I don't want to be one of the few under any circumstance.
The reason that I am asking is because of a scorpion being advertised by a seller. Due to a scorpion's limited lifespan, in comparison to female tarantulas for instance, how long they have been in captivity is far more relevant.
If they are only 3" and are ST WC - then chances are that they are that they have a few years left. However, if they are 5" and LT WC, where LT = 12+ months, then they could have less than a year left in their life. I would not consider purchasing them. And what if that seller's definition of LT = 36+ months? How do I know without you telling me?
I get a little bit concerned when I ask the seller specifically "What is your time length for LT?" and I don't get an answer. That bothers me. Why would someone not want to tell me that information? I mean, they have a wild caught animal to begin with (which a lot of people do not support) and have advertised it as such, so what is the big deal telling me how long you've had it?
I get that some people end up with wild caught animals. Maybe they were given to them by someone who needed them gone, or whatever, you've already specified that they are wild caught - why not be open about how long they've been in captivity? If you don't know for sure - just say that. Say "I don't know, because I got them last week from someone who had them longer than xx months which I consider LT."
I don't understand what the issue is. If you want my money, I'm entitled to know pertinent information about what/who I'm buying. Evading the question doesn't sit well with me.

Last edited:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I wouldn't consider 12 months to be "long term" in the tarantula world o_O That's not even one molt cycle for many adults.
For example, I don't consider 1 year a long time.
I would consider 12+ months for a scorpion, who lives only 5-8 years on average, long term.
It is a LT WC scorpion that made me ask. I know that size is a consideration, as well as price, but whether you consider LT 12 months or 36 months makes a huge difference in whether I am going to spend money on the animal.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
If you are referring to scorpions here, why did you post in this sub-forum?

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
If you are referring to scorpions here, why did you post in this sub-forum?
The question is not scorpion specific because the dealer applies it to all their stock - tarantulas, scorpions, centipedes - everything.
Because the question still applies to tarantulas as well, and it is far more frequently encountered with tarantulas, and the dealer that I am referring to applies the same legend to their tarantulas and other stock.
I posted here because if the dealer applies the same to both - then it is far more likely that people will have an answer here because it is far more likely that the members of this forum have encountered it with tarantulas over scorpions and I can get a better idea of what it means throughout the entire hobby.
I guess I could have posted it to several of the sub forums to get a better idea of the variances of those definitions across all aspects of the hobby, but I chose the one with the most likelihood of a wide range of feedback.

Last edited:

advan

oOOo
Staff member
The question is not scorpion specific because the dealer applies it to all their stock - tarantulas, scorpions, centipedes - everything.
Because the question still applies to tarantulas as well, and it is far more frequently encountered with tarantulas, and the dealer that I am referring to applies the same legend to their tarantulas and other stock.
I posted here because if the dealer applies the same to both - then it is far more likely that people will have an answer here because it is far more likely that the members of this forum have encountered it with tarantulas over scorpions and I can get a better idea of what it means throughout the entire hobby.
I guess I could have posted it to several of the sub forums to get a better idea of the variances of those definitions across all aspects of the hobby, but I chose the one with the most likelihood of a wide range of feedback.
But you turned it into a scorpion thread with previous posts. If you post in here, members are going to think you are talking about tarantulas and answer you referring to tarantulas, not scorpions. Answers are going to very whether we are talking about tarantulas, scorpions, annual/biannual true spiders etc. A good portion of members here are only tarantula keepers or maybe have a scorpion or two but aren't seasoned keepers. It is best to keep sub-forums uncluttered, not to mention you could be getting a good opinion on your question from well known scorp lovers like @gromgrom. ;)

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
But you turned it into a scorpion thread with previous posts. If you post in here, members are going to think you are talking about tarantulas and answer you referring to tarantulas, not scorpions. Answers are going to very whether we are talking about tarantulas, scorpions, annual/biannual true spiders etc. A good portion of members here are only tarantula keepers or maybe have a scorpion or two but aren't seasoned keepers. It is best to keep sub-forums uncluttered, not to mention you could be getting a good opinion on your question from well known scorp lovers like @gromgrom. ;)
The question is not scorpion specific at all. When I look at the price list - all the animals are listed, scorpions, tarantulas, centipedes, true spiders, millipedes - and at the very bottom is the legend that specifies the Length of Captivity as it applies to the entire price list and not just the scorpions. They do not have one set of criteria for tarantulas and another for scorpions.
I am not asking a scorpion specific care question, so this is ridiculous. If you would like me to start over again by posting my question in every single individual sub forum in order to get the feedback that I am looking for, I am more than happy to do that.
However, I don't think that would be logical since the vast amount of people on this entire website are found in the tarantula section and that is the section that has the members who have the majority of animals covering all the different invertebrate options on these boards.
So, while I might miss out on one or two answers from the scorpion only keepers by posting it in the tarantula section - I would be missing out on dozens of responses from tarantula/scorpion/centipede people in the tarantula sub section.
I applied this logic when opting to post it here. Would you prefer that I post it to all the sub sections because I am interested in the length that applies to all animals? Because I might need to know this information as it applies to tarantulas ten days from now and so I will need to ask it again... then millipedes another ten days so I need to post it there... and so on.
I didn't think that was the logical way to approach this.
And if you want to talk about keeping it uncluttered, then I will do my best to help you by reporting every single thread that goes off topic to subjects better off in the Watering Hole.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
The reason that I am asking is because of a scorpion being advertised by a seller.
The question is not scorpion specific at all.
See the issue here? You started this thread with the intentions of a scorpion related question. Using the tarantula section because of it's higher traffic is a no no. Sorry.
And if you want to talk about keeping it uncluttered, then I will do my best to help you by reporting every single thread that goes off topic to subjects better off in the Watering Hole.
Please do, it would be appreciated. :)