Wild Caught Brachypelma albopilosum from Nicaragua

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here I have a female from Nicaragua Brachypelma albopilosum. will try to acquire a male for future new bloodline wild caught specimens.

Not the best photo it's just a sample.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Just curious how you were able to procure a WC Brachy. She's a beaut, best of luck locating a proper MM.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Didn't you know curiosity killed the cat. I can get more wild caught Brachypelma albopilosum but getting a male will be a little tuff since I am only able to get them unsexed. The female I have is roughly 4.5" inches to 5" inches.

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Unfortunately, for the vast majority of the species in the hobby now, there are no new bloodlines, nor is there any likelihood of it in the future. We will eventually find out if there are any long term effects from inbreeding.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
the way (although not ideal) would be to exchange animals between USA and Europe. I usually try to buy animals from abroad to refresh the blood and reduce possible effects of inbreeding.

That would be of little help. Almost all of our species originated as CBB slings imported from Europe. They have a limited stock that they keep reproducing from. Getting more from the wild is increasingly difficult: many species are from remote tropical areas, and most countries are shutdown for exporting animals. With the majority of species, what we have now is it, and they're already related.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
you should be carefull, my friend once offered animals without papers and soon after posting the info online, officers visited him, confiscated the animals. this happened in Poland 3 years ago
True. Things are different in Europe, and in Italy in particular. Here you can't own a genus Brachypelma Theraphosidae without the papers that proves that your specimen is a CB, with the date of hatch etc everything, otherwise no stories, you're a smuggler. Go figure a Pet Shop with WC.
More than a decade ago, someone with 1000+ T's (a breeder btw) went in trouble for three (3) "Brachys" without those papers, not for his "army" of Baboons, "Haplos" etc (and the Arachnid Ban was already on).

In one of our forums (Comment N°12) user 00xyz00 explain that well:
http://forum.aracnofilia.org/topic/8750-spiderling-di-brachypelma-con-cites/

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
you should be carefull, my friend once offered animals without papers and soon after posting the info online, officers visited him, confiscated the animals. this happened in Poland 3 years ago
This is not new Brachypelma albopilosum has been imported from Nicaragua months ago. I'm sure if it was totally illegal to get wild caught Brachypelma albopilosum from Nicaragua importers that have been in business for many years would label them differently of just simply won't touch the species.
Obviously we know that in Mexico all species in the Genus Brachypelma are Appendix II Cites does this also mean in Nicaragua as well? What happens if for some odd reasons a new species in the Brachypelma genus is discovered in Panama, Costa Rica, South America etc. will that be considered Appendix II CITES?
Besides in the past importers have sold CB Brachypelma sp. that came from Mexico. This species had papers.

Last edited:

peterUK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
There has recently been a large import from Nicaragua of WC Brachypelma albopilosum into the UK

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
This is not new Brachypelma albopilosum has been imported from Nicaragua months ago. I'm sure if it was totally illegal to get wild caught Brachypelma albopilosum from Nicaragua importers that have been in business for many years would label them differently of just simply won't touch the species.
Obviously we know that in Mexico all species in the Genus Brachypelma are Appendix II Cites does this also mean in Nicaragua as well? What happens if for some odd reasons a new species in the Brachypelma genus is discovered in Panama, Costa Rica, South America etc. will that be considered Appendix II CITES?
Besides in the past importers have sold CB Brachypelma sp. that came from Mexico. This species had papers.
Doesn't matter, man. All the Brachypelma genus is (should... it's better, according to those facts you mentioned which i don't doubt) protected by CITES. The nation where they caught those WC doesn't matter, the genus is the important thing.
As far as i know, only Italy (seems a joke, i know) respect that without "if" "what" "no, i.." etc

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Papers, or nothing. This should been the right behave for own a genus Brachypelma one. Nature and the enviroment should be respected.

Here when you buy one of that genus Theraphosidae you receive the papers with everything on it. No papers? Don't buy.
100% CB proved, from skilled breeders who breed CB specimens. What's right is right.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Papers, or nothing. This should been the right behave for own a genus Brachypelma one. Nature and the enviroment should be respected.

Here when you buy one of that genus Theraphosidae you receive the papers with everything on it. No papers? Don't buy.
100% CB proved, from skilled breeders who breed CB specimens. What's right is right.
Wether papers were presented to collect/receive this species I couldn't tell you. I just know that they made it to US soil. It's an invasion of the Brachy's.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Maybe the albopilosum were shipped FedEx since it's perfectly legal. Not breaking company rules and regulations. Would that be possible Poec54?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Why do you have to bring the "Cartels" AKA "El Chapo" into this mess?

Because the legality of things into the US is of little concern to some people. You said that if it was illegal, they wouldn't be shipped here. Just ask Customs how much they find of any contraband.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Your question should be asked by you/ yourself to Customs. I'm not the one who is concern about the legality of how this species was imported. Why would I worry about something that I have no clue on how and why it was imported and I don't have the desire to find out. I purchase a species that is wild caught and will get a couple of more later this week. I'm perfectly happy and content.
Now if you have proof that this species was imported illegally than that's something that is worth discussing about. If you don't have proof than this discussion is inconclusive.

Last edited: