Wiki entries

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I noticed that wiki has hardly any entries on T-s; so i made P.metallica entry
here

I think that we, as a community, could make spider wiki much better.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
last i checked, I wouldnt consider pokie venom to medically significant. Medically significant is usually used for species that will hospitalize you, and it seems much more often than not a pokie bite just results in minor sickness (more than most other T's but not necessarly very dangerous)

Only reason I say this is Wikipedia is used by a lot of people that dont know much about topics, and medically significant venom to them can translate to dangerous or even deadly.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I would say that pokie venom is more medically significant then most other Ts. I have known a handful of people that did not react to well to bites and did get to see the inside of a hospital because of certain pokies.

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
as talkenlate said...
medically significant implies easily detectable effect on physiology of the subject, such as being hospitalized. I think i clarified that in the entry...
Furthermore, most dealers label pokies as having medically significant venom.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I would say those pictures of the male and female P.metallica would definately get more people into liking and appreciating Ts. Good job!

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks all.

I think it would be awesome if every member made a T wiki entry! if you feel you are up to it, go do it!

Tescos

Banned
Old Timer
Hi

this bit:-

This species is considered the holy grail for tarantula enthusiasts with adults pricing well above $500. 2-week old unsexed spiderlings go at $300 very quickly. The gender matters since females live for about 12 years, 3-4 times longer than males. They are pretty hardy, relatively fast growing spiders that are generally fed crickets, but can take on anything from a fruit fly to a pinky mouse or anole lizard. They measure up to 6-8" in legspan when fully grown and prefer hot humid environments. They are considered to be relatively dangerous spiders, with medically significant venom, that may cause intense pain and hospitalization for several days, judging from the experience of keepers bitten by other spiders from this genus. They move extremely quickly and attack when cornered, generally preferring flight to fight.
Is a bit crap IMHO but then thats just me I suppose.:)
Cheers
Chris

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Tescos, which part of it sucks? That's one big bit, you know. And calling things crap isn't very nice. How about you make your own wiki entry? ;)

Slash

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I know P. metallicas are hot, but I almosted pooped myself when I saw the male specimen from that link. That blue looks almost exaggerated in my opinion.:confused: Probably not though.

Slash

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Slash, here is another image form a totally different source

thanks speedreader. They're so gorgeous. I have yet to see one in person.

Also, I said the blue looks exaggeted becuase I've looked at tons of pictures of P.metallica, and some seem kinda dull in coloration whereas others are very bright blue. Some are also darker than others. I guess its just the different bloodlines.:?

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Slash, I think it's the lightning. It matters a lot in photography and metallica is called that for a reason - they reflect light pretty well. Mine looks dullish brown under room light but purple blue in daylight.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They don't come from Gooty. The type specimen was found near Gooty in a railway engineer's shed (IIRC) - it got there by accident when it was transported with firewood as far as I know.

LimaMikeSquared

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Some are also darker than others. I guess its just the different bloodlines.:?

I was told by a dealer at the etomologist show here that there are two forms of the metallica light and dark, the dark sometimes almost looking black and the light being very pale, and that from the people he knew may have been part of why breeding them was awkward at first as they didnt want to mix the forms. Which was interesting to know.

Or it has been put into forms here, they seem a little bit more available where I am, theres normally some for sale somewhere. Resonable price to now £60 for 3-4 cms which looking at before is a huge drop in price. I think the appearence of the triganweisle (sp?) here has made the prices drop a bit.

LMS

P.S. Like the work on wiki :D

Slash

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Slash, I think it's the lightning. It matters a lot in photography and metallica is called that for a reason - they reflect light pretty well. Mine looks dullish brown under room light but purple blue in daylight.

Thanks buddy. Go figure...I'm photography illiterate. :rolleyes: