wierd heterometrus species

blooms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I live in China. I often see big Heterometrus scorpions for sale, but they are usually uniformly black or just have a reddish telson. However, the pet markets in my city seem to be inundated with a large, communal Heterometrus species with red claws and legs. I asked about it and was told that it's from Yunnan in Southern China. Any ideas what it could be?

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
without photographs, no, no idea.........There is also a possibility that it is not a Heterometrus........if you can' t post pictures, further discussion is pointless...

Last edited:

RyoKenzaki

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The only Heterometrus sp in China that i know of is Heterometrus tibetanus
Local call them China version of emperor scorp as i know, however i have no idea how they looks like

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I just looked at the intro to the Description paper, H. tibetanus is not large for Heterometrus species. Not small, but doesn't sound like a big one either. I wish I could find the whole paper, but I don't have time right now. :eek:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't know but sounds interesting to me, it would really be nice to see a pic:drool:

blooms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Next time I go to the pet market I'll take a photo.

william_wang

Arachnopeon
haha
I live in china.
but there are some Heterometrus in pet markets.
not only one.
waiting for your photos

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Great that you are taking some pics! Be advised that there is a difference between: scorpions from China and scorpions that are sold in China.....The ones that are sold in China, do not necessarily occur in that country....

I can buy a Caddilac in The Netherlands, but it is still an American car, not a dutch one.....

RyoKenzaki

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yea but OP did mention the seller told him its from the southern china, if the seller is right and OP is sure its a Heterometrus then it will be H.tibetanus or other new Heterometrus sp in China that are yet to be discover imo

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yea but OP did mention the seller told him its from the southern china, if the seller is right and OP is sure its a Heterometrus then it will be H.tibetanus or other new Heterometrus sp in China that are yet to be discover imo
IF the seller is right yes. That would be the first time in the 17 years that I keep scorpions that a seller knows something! Sellers say a lot! Haha :razz:
Like I said, we can discuss, assume etc etc, but not know......

RyoKenzaki

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
U have a point there, pardon me for being too naive :wall:
Speaking bout seller now i recall how unreliable they are
Well, guess we will need to wait for the pic of the said specimen :D

blooms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Great that you are taking some pics! Be advised that there is a difference between: scorpions from China and scorpions that are sold in China.....The ones that are sold in China, do not necessarily occur in that country....

I can buy a Caddilac in The Netherlands, but it is still an American car, not a dutch one.....
That's true. But full grown species of this scorpion cost around 50 rmb (around 12 us dollars). In my experience the only species in china that are so cheap are those that are native. Plus, when I asked the guy where they came from he said "Yunnan".

blooms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
By the way, I've been quite busy, but I will do my best to get there and get a photo for you guys.

Sorry.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's true. But full grown species of this scorpion cost around 50 rmb (around 12 us dollars). In my experience the only species in china that are so cheap are those that are native. Plus, when I asked the guy where they came from he said "Yunnan".
Well, the cost theory makes sense, so they could be from Hunnan. Regretfully, Professor Mingsheng Zhu passed away recently, so you cannot ask him, like Nomad suggested, but there are other Chinese arachnologists you could consult.

I do not know much about the Chinese scorpiofauna, so I cannot tell you what species occur on Yunnan.......I could tell you the genus of the scorpions, when you are able to post pics.....

Regards, Michiel

cannabeast

Arachnosquire
without photographs, no, no idea.........There is also a possibility that it is not a Heterometrus........if you can' t post pictures, further discussion is pointless...

haha dude i just had to call you out for that, look how many people posted above that including yourself just before me:p

anywa,y without the picture, my guess is that its just heterometrus swammerdami from india. anyone wanna bet before he goes to take those pictures?;p he seemed to think they were giant. like a giant indian forest scorpion. or its that goofy red clawed fake p. imperator. but heterometrus was mentioned so ill stick with my first non photo guess. go to the market with your cam blooms!

william_wang

Arachnopeon
no pics, no truth.
haha
I collected some chinese native scorpions, like Lychas mucronatus,Mesobuthus martensii,Liocheles australasiae.....

cannabeast

Arachnosquire
suppose it IS important that people have the ability to voice their opinions, however fruitless they may be :p

we'll see when he gets back from his chinese market whose right though! until then we should all make guesses, and have a grand prize for the winner:p