Wierd Bug ID

R

Ron192

Hi I live in Nevada and saw a very interesting insect/arachnid (?) bug yesterday. I have never seen anything like this. It was under a log. About 1 inch long and was white to tan in color. Looked kind of like a spider with a few extra legs and a big head with giant pincers at the front of the head. A very menacing looking animal. ???????

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Something tells me Alex S. will be along shortly to help you out with some description... :) He's the solfugid GOD... crap, I said too much...

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Solifugids

Like Mister Internet said it is most likely a solifugid. Im very interested in solifugids, definitaly not a god though. :)

Alex S.

Last edited:

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Solifugae

All but one species of solifugid do not posses venom glands. Although giant species, such as those of the families Galeodidae, Solpugidae, some Rhagodidae, and Daesiidae can deliver a very painful and deep bite with their huge chelicerae (Jaws), which can be very deep and sometimes cause infection. That one species that is venemous, is Rhagodes nigrocinctus (Rhagodidae) from India. Although the venom is only dangerous to small animals.

Alex S.