Widow sling?

cabey0201

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
After an unproductive search for widows in an outdoor storage closet, I found a little bitty spiderling crawling up my sleeve. I don't know a whole lot about widows as of yet, but this thing looks like a tiny widow for sure. I live in the St. Louis, MO area and have never personally seen any other spiders with that telltale abdomen shape that a widow has. This guy's tiny and I can't spot any red markings on the abdomen, but I just wanted some input. I've done some searches for images of Latrodectus babies but can't find any. His legspan is less than 1/8", he's black, and has the bulbous opisthosoma that you would expect to find in a Latro. I don't have a camera handy but will try to get some shots up soon. Any ideas?

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
After an unproductive search for widows in an outdoor storage closet, I found a little bitty spiderling crawling up my sleeve. I don't know a whole lot about widows as of yet, but this thing looks like a tiny widow for sure. I live in the St. Louis, MO area and have never personally seen any other spiders with that telltale abdomen shape that a widow has. This guy's tiny and I can't spot any red markings on the abdomen, but I just wanted some input. I've done some searches for images of Latrodectus babies but can't find any. His legspan is less than 1/8", he's black, and has the bulbous opisthosoma that you would expect to find in a Latro. I don't have a camera handy but will try to get some shots up soon. Any ideas?
well, widow slings body color does not look altogether similar to an adult. at the size you said, the spider should have mostly white markings, red streaks, and a smidge of black. and of course, no matter how big, there is the hourglass underneath. that is what a black widow sling looks look.

http://cals.arizona.edu/urbanipm/spiders/blackwidows.html
look at the diagram right below the female. shows the pattern on juvies.

http://www.enature.com/fieldguides/detail.asp?recnum=IS0323
and this describes spiderling color.