Widow looking spider in Washington State

Lyle Beach

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I found this under the table where I keep my Tarantulas. The body structure looks like that of some kind of widow?

What do you think it could be?

I live on the coast of Washington State. I've never seen a spider like this before in this area.

conway

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
nice pictures its a widow, but i dunno what species it looks like a white widow but without the colour :?

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's Steatoda, possibly S. grossa, known as the false black widow for obvious reasons. Totally harmless.

Wade

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Yes S.bipunctata (are they in the US?) or S.grossa be careful not too put in a situation were it could bite i.e. crushing it against your skin as some ppl have bad reactions too there bite (no deaths tho) I have a friend who’s S.grossa bite was worse then a P.for bite he also took :eek: that said there as much fun as widows to keep (i used to keep loads of S.bipunctata as a lad)

JPD

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What Wade and FryLock said!
Hey Lyle, here in Washington, about the only place to find L.hesperus (Western Black Widow) is central and eastern Washington. An occasional one will turn up here and there in western washington but not very often.
My first L.hesperus actually came from a Safeway in Redmond. Grapes from California....gotta love them grapes :}