widow and fertilization of sac

DrJonnyD

Arachnosquire
I have a question that sounds almost too silly to ask but i get surprised all the time, so here it is. Can sac fertilization skip a generation? My widow whome I have had for about a year had a sac about two months ago. it was unfertilized. she just had another. is there any chance this one might be good?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i don't think so

it is more likely the widow is making nonviable eggsacs. i don't think i remember reading about any parthenogenic spiders... and i am almost positive i haven't read about widows in particular being parthenogenic

but they *can* store sperm for a decently long time. iirc i had a widow that still made viable eggsacs around a year after i caught it

davisfam

Arachnoknight
I have a question that sounds almost too silly to ask but i get surprised all the time, so here it is. Can sac fertilization skip a generation? My widow whome I have had for about a year had a sac about two months ago. it was unfertilized. she just had another. is there any chance this one might be good?
I would send "Widowman10" a message asking this question unless he see's this thread before then; he knows a lot about this species and could most likely help you out quite a bit. Good luck! ;)

Info I could find to help:

"Parthenogenesis is unknown in Latrodectus, although Kaston (1968) reports numerous examples of infertile eggsacs being spun by virgin females."

Resource: http://www.americanarachnology.org/JoA_free/JoA_v13_n3/JoA_v13_p331.pdf

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
if i understand the question correctly: your female dropped an infertile eggsac, then a little later (or now) just dropped another sac, and you're wondering if it's fertile?

need to know more info basically. the NA black widows usually won't produce phantom sacs (by that i mean making a sac if they've never been bred, like pallidus, or some other species), but will produce dud sacs that don't produce slings, especially if she is really old or in bad physical condition.

widows aren't parthenogenic though. as far as we know {D

they can store sperm for a long time though, as caco said.

there is a shred of a possibility that this sac is fertile, but i wouldn't give it too high of a chance.

DrJonnyD

Arachnosquire
The way you described it is exactly right Widowman. Not sure about what species of widow it is exactly. I live in southern California. I really only see two here. We have brown widows, abosulitlu beautiful, and we have the black black ones. This one is a black one. Thanks for the time and replies. It is always a learning experience for me.