why your collection mysteriously grows

omni

Arachnobaron
Did you ever want to see your T's doing things and everytime you had a chance to watch them, they were just like pet rocks?
You get this idea that if you have more of them, in different stages of their lives, you'll be Sure to always see something going on...
well, for the most part, you end up with more pet rocks,
so Then you go get some really pretty pet rocks or holes,
THEN you're still unfulfilled because you need that 'fix' of seeing your pets in action, so for a bit you content yourself with feeding times, but not all spp. cooperate there,
so THEN you set your mind on getting some lg, hungry aggressive sp. and they are likely just some big hairy brown birdeater.
And so NOW your collection is quite large, probably 10 or more ttl of at least 4 or 5 spp. Many of you have 20+ T's of many species.
Now It Sinks In you realize you want that spider that is 'The All'. All your fav traits in one species. You'll accumulate dozens of spp., several of each, still looking ... Let me know, did you ever find that sp.? How How long did it take you? {D

kyrga

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I see Ts kind of like lotto tickets. You buy scratch off tickets, knowing you're gonna lose, but every once in a blue moon, you're surprised with a winner, which makes you happier than it should considering you probably only won $5. With my Ts, I know whenever I look at them I'm gonna see a pet rock, which is fine by me , but that once in a blue moon when I see one of my Ts walking across their enclosure in that funny little tarantula walk, or watch one snatch up a cricket, or best of all, see my little bulldozer working on his burrow or my avic building a new web.... I don't think I'd appreciate it as much if I saw that every time I looked at them.

Tunedbeat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm still lookin for that fix, but i'm satisfy with my p.murinus.

Brando

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think the thing that keeps me buying and collecting different species is being able to build a habitat for them to live in and try to make it as similar to what they would really be living in as possible. Creating a self sustaining environment, except for food, is the real thrill for me. Being able to tell and show people why they shouldn't be afraid of arachnids is also very fulfilling. I have an ex-girlfriend who was terrified of spiders, but after she got comfortable being around them she wanted to hold one. Tarantulas are just very interesting to me whether or not they are running around killing insects or making a web.

If i wanted to see them active i could stay up all night and watch them, since they are nocturnal.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i think the only time i've ever seen my T's in action was when i fed them and happened to be lucky enough to see it catch its prey. other than that, my T's just chill and won't move unless I prod them for one reason or another.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
but i'm not gonna lie, i get T's based off color and temperment. if it's prone to be pissy and has a boring color, i don't buy it.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm just coming around to a new point of view on pissy, defensive T's. I just got a Nhandu Chromatus and it's "in yer face" attitude is what so endears it to me. Since i don't often handle by lil buggies aggro/defensive isn't such a big deal.

I don't know if the N. chromatus is my holy grail but i sure do like it!

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I find myself interested in my slings mostly for their performances at mealtimes. The most interesting to watch eat, out of between 50 and 60 T's (I haven't counted lately) is my T. apophoysis sling.
It eats 3 to 4 crickets at a time and is always starving, watching that little thing bounce off the walls doing extreme acrobatic movements to catch all of the crickets is unforgettable. Then it sits there, trying to cram all 4 crickets in its mouth, it can't hold anymore than 3, but it keeps trying.
Close seconds are my 2 little P. cancerides slings, they easily take down crickets the same size or bigger than them, then drag them across the viv to eat.
With adults and juvies, I like anything that doesn't hide all of the time. They don't have to be moving, I just like to see them. My B. boehmei 4 inch male is just stunnng to look at, same with my N. chromatus female, and any time I get a glimpse of any of my pokies, it is wonderful.

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
I'm still lookin for that fix, but i'm satisfy with my p.murinus.
I have to agree ..

Most of my africans ( the majority of my collection ) don't disappoint often.

Though my GBB ( C. cyaneopubescens ) is always willing to oblige :)

And just with her shear contrasting beauty my A. seemanni does it for me..

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i luv all of my ts my adults/spiderlings:worship: at feeding time they are nuts{D but at night when they all come out to venture....a sight to behold,that keeps me going,and getting more all the time.

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I found the bottom limit at 30 Ts. Anything below that is kind of boring. The trick is to keep diggers and the like in dark spaces, that means that they build their lairs with the container as burrow boundry. So everytime I open the cupboards second door I can see them sitting there "right in their burrow".