why would she bite me........?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redrumpslump

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Why don't you go tag everyones computer that disagrees with you. Probably make the world a better place I'm sure.

Matt

Spiderman24

Arachnoknight
It's not the fact that he disagreed with me at all it was the rude remark made about as you can see others disagreed with me. I didn't get crappy about it. They weren't rude in the slightest.

---------- Post added at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 AM ----------

Ever get that feeling you've just been trolled?
Lmao what makes you say that aye

Sidi

Arachnopeon
Common sense makes me say that, damn, I just bought my first T today and even I know they will bite if they want too!

Spiderman24

Arachnoknight
Common sense makes me say that, damn, I just bought my first T today and even I know they will bite if they want too!
I think we've all stated that 100 times now. Lol I think he got the picture after me and dragonfly said it lol but were now on to the fact that I'm ignorant for thinking tarantulas have rudimentary emotions. Lol

---------- Post added at 09:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 AM ----------

Watch the swearing though man I've got smacked down for it a lot >.<

Sidi

Arachnopeon
Think whatever you want to think dude, who cares what someone you dont know on the internet thinks, lol

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Then how would caffeine effect a spider? And dmt? Dmt being the adrenaline gland of a monkey.... you are quite correct as I said this was only my thoughts and I figured if such said "drugs" effect us the matter they do then how could they effect a spider using the same chemical make up?
Now that is an interesting question, I'm not sure how those compounds would affect an arthropod. Dimethyltryptamine however is derived from plants, though there is anecdotal evidence of it being found in mammals and I believe I read somewhere that it is similar to the compound secreted by the Colorado River Toad.

I guess to answer those questions you'd first have to look at what receptors they bind to within the human brain and determine if there are analogues to those receptors in an arthropods ganglia that they could readily bind to.

Spiderman24

Arachnoknight
I'm really going to look into that if I find anything interesting about the matter ill relay and link you to it. But I was referring to the drug some people ignorantly take. It is extremely illegal and that's the reason (by what I've read) is why its so illegal and that it gives you a "sense of death" I don't know much about it but it just strikes ne as odd that such things also effect spiders in the same sense. But we are so far apart.

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Tarantulas don't have 'character' and they don't have 'moods'. They're spiders.
They do get terratorial though, I make sure my handleable species are out of their homes before I attempt to pick them up by hand.

Even my Rose hair raises up, chases my tongs and taps them hard with her fangs in her home, but outside she is just perfectly holdable.

---------- Post added at 08:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 AM ----------

Yeah xhexdx is always out to make someone look like they don't know what they are talking about so take his comments with a grain of salt although he did teach me to use the search much better!! But dont know if they have so called moods I bought an adult female chaco about 2 years ago...I used to hold her all the time, nothing changed to my knowledge and she hasn't let me hold her in about 6 months. So you can call that what you want but it sounds like a mood to me.
I agree, I have had it with certain elitist attitudes on these forums, though not to myself personally i'm getting tired of newer keepers being picked on when they come here for information.

The hobby isnt about who is best at this or that it is about understanding and helping others.

Anyone from before July 2007 (xhedx' join date) should know this, he is not the only one on these forums who needs an attitude check.

Spiderman24

Arachnoknight
found a little something

The most potent psychedelic compound goes by the name dimethyltryptamine or as it is commonly known "DMT". DMT is currently in all of our brains, it is a neurotransmitter similar to serotonin that seems to be secreted by the pineal gland. The pineal is most mysterious organ in the human body, it is the physical representation of the Third Eye and has been linked to everything from the dream world, to alien abduction. DMT also can be found in nature. In my mind the most amazing thing about dimethyltryptamine is the fact that it exists in nearly every ecosystem on earth. Countless plants have DMT in their leaves, this is well understood and utilized by indigenous people of South America. Deep in the Amazonian rain forest of Columbia, shamans of the Amerindians tribe have a brew called Ayahuasca

JC50

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The most potent psychedelic compound goes by the name dimethyltryptamine or as it is commonly known "DMT". DMT is currently in all of our brains, it is a neurotransmitter similar to serotonin that seems to be secreted by the pineal gland. The pineal is most mysterious organ in the human body, it is the physical representation of the Third Eye and has been linked to everything from the dream world, to alien abduction. DMT also can be found in nature. In my mind the most amazing thing about dimethyltryptamine is the fact that it exists in nearly every ecosystem on earth. Countless plants have DMT in their leaves, this is well understood and utilized by indigenous people of South America. Deep in the Amazonian rain forest of Columbia, shamans of the Amerindians tribe have a brew called Ayahuasca

Very interesting information.This is also the same compound associated with the " magic mushrooms" found in cow pastures and ingested by humans for the high.I did not realize it was found in so many living things.

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You cannot compare a primitive mygalomorph with a mammal{D Spiders dont have those "mood" feeling such as boredom, happines, sadness etc.

---------- Post added at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 AM ----------

Realizes it's just you!!??
I agree that they don't have moods in the conventional sense but they do have triggers, even crickets have them... ever seen a cricket stop when it senses the furry legs of a Tarantula.

Just as I believe Tarantulas have these primitive chemical triggers, ie this creature is bigger than me shall I run or defend my homeground.. shall I avoid it because it is no threat.

Lizards are not mammals and they have these also.

My Monitor feels no emotional attachment to me but he is calm around me because he perceives me as no threat, I am a bringer of food and he will let me literally pick him straight up from a sleep without so much as to blink, he lost all of his defense mechanisms regarding humans and i'll even let him sleep next to me sometimes, he likes the warmth from me... so as I am benifitial to him he is relaxed around me... but he certainly wouldn't care what I felt he just ignores me.

The first time he saw a dog which ran into our garden he inflated up and hissed (a defensive response to make himself look bigger just like tarantula posturing and raising up), and this is an animal smaller than a human but because he hasnt encountered it before he got defensive, now while tarantulas are not as intelligent as reptiles and do not have the vision to discern threat from non threat they act in the same way using sense, a Tarantula can differentiate between their own species, food, threats and large non threats via chemical signals.

I literally pick my Rose hair up from the sides and your telling me she doesn't know she has been grasped by a larger animal?

Now maybe you did something different in her enclosure which set off alarm bells and because you had aggitated her and persisted she saw no other resort than to bite you, to let you know that she means it.

I have witnessed my Pterinochilus Chordatus fang tap rather than bite (and continued this to the second cricket in it's enclosure tapping it over and over) because it knows I am larger and could kill it, so it would rather warn me than risk injuring itself, this is prevalent throughout nature including animals like rattlesnakes that have evolved these warning signals, this could be a reason why tarantulas can be so vividly coloured.

As a wise man once said "nature will find a way"

Last edited:

Spiderman24

Arachnoknight
Very interesting information.This is also the same compound associated with the " magic mushrooms" found in cow pastures and ingested by humans for the high.I did not realize it was found in so many living things.
Yeah we all have the major drug known as DMT in us. It is was causes us to dream. It is the pineal gland that activates it.

---------- Post added at 10:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 AM ----------

this could be a reason why tarantulas can be so vividly coloured.

As a wise man once said "nature will find a way"[/QUOTE]

Prime example poecilotheria species highlighted legs are to warn off predators

---------- Post added at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 AM ----------

this could be a reason why tarantulas can be so vividly coloured.

As a wise man once said "nature will find a way"[/QUOTE]

Prime example poecilotheria species highlighted legs are to warn off predators

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thanks spiderman. my question isnt really why she bit me, is why is she out of character. i know every being has a day with a bad mood. the reason why i found this so wierd is because in 6 months this is her first moody day
It's a rosehair. Thats enough why she is like that. My B. smithi supposed to be more calmer than roseas and still I get threat poses by her, though I never handele my tarantulas!

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Google spiders on drugs. There was a big study about spiders on several types of drugs injected into there diet is how I think it happened. And throwing up a threat display is anger in itself... I mean not trying to talk down to you at all but being irritated and kicking hairs is showing emotions that's common sense.... but yeah anyway there has been some study though and it was proven there is effect.

---------- Post added at 06:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 AM ----------

www.trinity.edu/jdunn/spiderdrugs.htm
Yes I was aware of the NASA study, but the results tell us nothing about a spider's ability to feel emotions. I also don't see how you can say a threat-pose demonstrates anger. I see it as a physiological response to outside stimuli and like you have stated, there's no way we can say exactly what's happening inside the spider's "brain" at the time. I'll stick with what is currently accepted by the scientific community but, like I said in my last post, if new research was to emerge linking behavioral responses to emotion, then I'd change my opinion.

Spiderman24

Arachnoknight
Mate the drugs effected the spiders behaviors...

---------- Post added at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 AM ----------

Well how do you explain docile and completely not docile t's..

That was a question not a snide remark by the way...

Last edited:

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I like how someone will post "My tarantula was angry" or something to that effect, then someone else will post "tarantulas can't be angry, they don't have emotions." Then the first person responds with "You don't know that, we can't tell what a tarantula is thinking" and calls them wrong yet if they go by their own argument, they are doing the same thing.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think that most bites from species generally accepted as non-defensive fall into 1 of three categories, ranked 1-3 in frequency

1: Misplaced prey aggression: You made a movement that felt like a prey item to the T, so it pounced. (most common)

2: The T was being handled or manipulated in some way and began to slip, and thus dug its fangs in for support. They do this often while climbing.

3: You triggered a defensive response in some way. Maybe a waft of air from your hand, maybe who knows, but it felt imminent danger and reacted. (least common)

Also, while I think it's anthropomorphosizing to say they have true "moods" (ie: a mental state brought upon by their environment and/or experiences which affects how they interact with others) They do seem to have something analogous but simpler. There are days when my rosies are curious and inquisitive, crawling right out of the cage into my hand un-encouraged; and there are days when they obviously don't want to be bothered and will throw threat displays at me. I can't say if this is because of environmental factors, time of day hunger/thirst or what. But it is based on real observation nonetheless and is an everpresent factor in my husbandry.

Every spider can have a bad day/moment. Look in the bite reports section, there are reports in there from G. rosea, G. pulchripes, A. avic, E. campestratus, B. albopilosum... even the most gentle species can bite you if they get a wild hair up their butt to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.