Why won't some dealers ship priority??

The Juice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I was just wondering why some dealers won't send T's priority?? It is my money and I am taking all the risks?? if a T is $45 and they will only do overnight shipping that is $25 that is $70, and that is way more than I would pay for a T.:?

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Well,
Because you're dealing with a living creature. :) If you do Priority, chances are, it won't be handled as gently as if you shipped Overnight. As well, the t will die, and the dealer may very well have to "cough up" another t, at their expense.

For instance, in the dead of winter, last year, I sent a H. maculata to Michigan. Despite what it cost me, I didn't care. Priority meant I'd be REAL lucky if it got there in 3-4 days. I went for Overnight, and it got there the next day, the heat pack still warm.

Peace,
Gillian

The Juice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have ordered about five t's 1/4" slings to 4" subadults through priority shipping and all have arrived in 3-5 days just depends who I ordered them from. and I haven't had any D.O.A's ........yet. and the dealers just didn't guarantee the shipment or T. so they didn't have to replace the T if it died.

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
priority is risky...

As Gillian already mentioned the risk to the animal is higher. In my opinion higher risk than I'm willing to take.

The way to offset the shipping cost is simple. Buy more at a time even if you have to do it less often then the shipping cost is split over say hal a dozen Ts instead of just one.

Phil

AllenG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes, I just paid 30$ for a sling to be shipped, thats a tad more then the sling itself, but it made it here over night, and alive and kicking, he has had 3-2week old crickets since he has been here, oh yeah, he's been here 2 days.

It swas well worth it, and if you are really worried, buy in bulk!;P

rob

Got Inverts?
Old Timer
Welfare of the spiders...

Shows me that those dealers are really concerned with the welfare of the spiders and want to minimize the risks associated with shipping. A spider that arrives in one or even two days is much more likely to arrive alive and in better shape than one who takes 3 or 4 days. Less stress on the spider. IMHO, the welfare of the tarantula should be the number one priority with the customer's desires for a quality animal at a fair price second in priority.

arachnopunks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not to mention that priority mail could be left in your mailbox in 100 degree or 30 degree weather, depending on the season. It is better to save up and order several spiders at once to diffuse the shipping cost, which is usually the same no matter how many you buy. That is why a lot of dealers have minimum orders, to make it worthwhile for the consumer to pay the shipping. I have had a few DOA's even with overnight shipping and would hate to risk waiting 3-5 days.

-Jill

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
you can mark a priority box fragile and perishable, then they wont leave it in a mailbox. i just sent out two packages of slings last week priority, marked just like that, along with "live animals" on the boxes. (i told them they were green tree frogs) they both arrived just as quickly as when i used fedex two day the last time. fact of the matter is, the usps is only the way ive shipped that hasnt given me problems yet.

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I had a pakage take four weeks to get from Virginia to California using priority mail once, needless to say but everyone arrived doa. I'll only ship and be shipped via an express service now, because it is not worh the risk to just save a few dollars.