Why no European style enclosures in the US?

RP91

Arachnopeon
Glass is pretty cheap, I can get 5 pieces of 10x8" for $10. The perforated metal sheets is harder to find, but have narrowed some down on ebay and I think I found some L channel at the hardware store that will work for the front panel.

I will be trying to create one this weekend.

If you are not sure what I am talking about, check out the enclosures in this video (Not advertising for the Dark Den, just trying to show off the enclosure type.)

Skip to 5:23 in the video.

Minty

@londontarantulas
I’ve got a couple of them and they’re not anything majorly more special imo. I don’t think US keepers are missing out.

RP91

Arachnopeon
I’ve got a couple of them and they’re not anything majorly more special imo. I don’t think US keepers are missing out.
What are you using that you think is better?

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
All I can say is that there are many great enclosures for tarantulas, and invertebrates in general, that offer the same amount of functionality, so these really don't seem all that special. Also, for me personally, I am not a DIY person, so I would rather purchase a cage than build one.

What I want to know is why European-style planted vivariums aren't catching on...

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

RP91

Arachnopeon
Agreed, I just really like the visibility of these enclosures without having to spend $50+ on an acrylic one that will scratch easier.

I am using latch boxes from the container store at the moment and they work great with some vent holes drilled, just really milky so visibility is hindered.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I am liking Sazon containers from Winco. Very clear. The plastic is hard though, so you have to melt through it for ventilation holes otherwise you crack the plastic.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Minty

@londontarantulas
What are you using that you think is better?
Made my own acrylic 30 x 30 x 30cm acrylic enclosure that I prefer. I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with the glass enclosures, they do the job, but they’re not an absolute must have.

RP91

Arachnopeon
On another note, has anyone seen the new hinge and vent system Petco has out in the wild? I know he's working on getting them set up to sell but he had to find them somewhere.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
On another note, has anyone seen the new hinge and vent system Petco has out in the wild? I know he's working on getting them set up to sell but he had to find them somewhere.
Would you link us up to that please?

Tortuga

Arachnoknight
He's using a 3D printer to make his hinge/vent mechanism. I'm not sure what type of plastic he's using though. From what I've researched PLA or ABS platics would be safe to use and are the most common. One is bio degradable and the other is food safe, not sure which one off the top of my head. There are other types of plastics that 3D printers can use but have toxic off-gas which would kill your pet

RP91

Arachnopeon
Makes sense, I'm sure there is someone he is working with to design and print then so we likely won't see any to get elsewhere. I know he plans to sell them in the future, but he said he was having some trouble getting the rail that holds the weight of the hinge to stay in the long term.

Either way its a cool design, I look forward to seeing them and trying them out.

Tortuga

Arachnoknight
In my city they actually have 3D printers at our local libraries. Staff will also show folks how to use them. I've been meaning to go because I want to pinch his design too lol, I've been too busy and too lazy if that makes since. We also have co-op work shops here that have 3D printer access.

It might be worth checking out 3D printer access where you live, if Missouri has it I'd bet Texas has 'em bigger.

He was having issues with the silicon bond on the top rail failing...I think. I've wondered if a UV activated adhesive would be a better option, definitely more expensive.
http://www.crlaurence.com/apps/cont...w.crlaurence.com/adv/UV_Bonding/index_us.html
These guys have everything UV glue for all types of bonding scenarios, glass to metal, glass to plastic etc... *the kits are crazy expensive

woodie

Arachnosquire
All I can say is that there are many great enclosures for tarantulas, and invertebrates in general, that offer the same amount of functionality, so these really don't seem all that special. Also, for me personally, I am not a DIY person, so I would rather purchase a cage than build one.

What I want to know is why European-style planted vivariums aren't catching on...

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Yeah, probably because I started with tropical reptiles, But I love good natural planted enclosures.
Don't see it much in American invert hobby