Why Isn't My Sling Eating

TOwner14

Arachnopeon
I just bought my very first tarantula as a sling and it hasn’t been fed before. I waited 3 days like I was recommended to do by the breeder and today was the day. I put a smaller live roach in its enclosure in the morning and then I was out the whole day, I just came home to find that the roach is still there and alive and my sling Cleary hasn’t touched it and kinda looks afraid of it. What should I do?

It may be too big for the sling.Kill it and cut it so the pray is about the size of your sling abdomen.Some young slings are afraid of live pray but will scavenge of dead one.
Also post pics of the sling and the enclosure as if not housed correctly may be feeling unsecure and refuse to eat.
Regards Konstantin

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I just bought my very first tarantula as a sling and it hasn’t been fed before. I waited 3 days like I was recommended to do by the breeder and today was the day. I put a smaller live roach in its enclosure in the morning and then I was out the whole day, I just came home to find that the roach is still there and alive and my sling Cleary hasn’t touched it and kinda looks afraid of it. What should I do?
Use a cricket

Lobstersign

Arachnopeon
What species is it? Some species don't eat as frequently as others. It was a month before my T. ockerti finally ate while my P. sazimai ate whenever food was offered.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Did you rehouse it into a smaller enclosure?

LadyVonChimp

Arachnosquire
Try smaller food, some people cut up mealworms and some babies will eat pre killed food
yep, this is exactly what I do with my slings. I'll either crush the heads and give them the smallest mealworm I can find, or cut one in half. If it's really really small Cricket legs work too.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
pin head B laterals or pinhead crickets too. Make sure your prey isn't bigger than your predator. If you have nothing small, get the smallest thing you have. Kill it and leave by their burrow