Why is tong feeding not recommended?

JuvenileHobbyist

Arachnopeon
As the title says.

Yesterday i was feeding my T and before i could release the roach she attacked the tongs, It didn't spook me but it got me to wonder about this question and what the main risks of feeding like this is.
It gave me a jolt and was really fun to see and feel. So before i consider doing it more often i wanna know if it's worth the potential risk.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I wouldn't do it. They can run up the tongs and bite your fingers. When I first started out, my (then) juvenile P. cambridgei got so excited over a cricket that she sprinted up the tongs and tried to bite me. After that I stopped tong feeding entirely.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
you risk damage to your t's fangs feeding that away along with putting your own fingers at risk to get bit plus your t doesnt need to be hand fed it can catch/scavenge its own live or prekilled food on its own

Timc

Arachnosquire
I have a P. rufilata nearly the size of standard ten inch tongs, and let me tell you, you don’t want to see that girl over shoot the target!

joossa

Arachnobaron
Use tongs to grab the food and drop it in some distance from the T. Then watch the T hunt! 😈

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
As the title says.

Yesterday i was feeding my T and before i could release the roach she attacked the tongs, It didn't spook me but it got me to wonder about this question and what the main risks of feeding like this is.
It gave me a jolt and was really fun to see and feel. So before i consider doing it more often i wanna know if it's worth the potential risk.
Why do you use tongs? Curious how this behavior of yours started.

This would be helpful.

VaporRyder

Arachnoknight
I wouldn't do it. They can run up the tongs and bite your fingers. When I first started out, my (then) juvenile P. cambridgei got so excited over a cricket that she sprinted up the tongs and tried to bite me. After that I stopped tong feeding entirely.
Yeah. I’m extremely careful not to create a bridge between my spider and my soft, juicy flesh! :rofl:

Last edited:

JuvenileHobbyist

Arachnopeon
Why do you use tongs? Curious how this behavior of yours started.

This would be helpful.
I personally am not to comfortable picking up Roaches and Critters with my bare hands just yet, though i wanna work on it, I'm more comfortable just using tongs and dropping it near the spider. What do you use?

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
It happens extremely rarely (like "I've only heard of it happening once in over 5 years of keeping" rarely) but they can break their fangs on the tongs.

A much more common occurrence is that they can run up the tongs faster than you can react, while this could potentially be bad for you (e.g. if an OW bolts up the tongs and tags you) it's much more likely to be a death sentence for the tarantula (you panic and fling it/it bites you and you fling or smash it/it takes a swan-dive off your hand and goes splat).

You don't need to tong feed tarantulas, they're perfectly capable of catching prey themselves, just drop the feeder in the enclosure and you're good.

VaporRyder

Arachnoknight
I personally am not to comfortable picking up Roaches and Critters with my bare hands just yet, though i wanna work on it, I'm more comfortable just using tongs and dropping it near the spider. What do you use?
Ahh, so I think we have a misunderstanding. I use tongs every time I feed, like most I would imagine. But I don’t ever wave the tongs right in front of the spider (which is my definition of ‘tong feeding’ - kind of like human ‘spoon feeding’). I just pop the feeder in the enclosure by dropping it, from height, close(ish) to the spider. Or simply drop anywhere in the enclosure - particularly in the case of my heavy webbers - knowing that at some point in the near future predator and prey will meet.

Last edited:

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As many have said, there is a chance that the spider could miss its intended target and bite you instead. I get a thrill everytime to see my Ts hunt, so I make a point to drop the feeder (if a cricket) as far away as possible to stimulate natural hunting behaviour. With meal/super worms, it's best to drop them as close to the spider as possible, to avoid having them burrow out of sight. I also use tongs as I wouldn't trust either cricket or worm jaws on my hand.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There’s 2 main ways peeps using tongs.

1. Picking up prey dropping it in away from T - safe.

2. Doing the above except but holding prey in tongs and waiting for T to take from tongs directly- not safe

Lots of YouTube vids show #2

Ts don’t need to be spoonfed.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Here is why:
  • Tarantulas may bite tongs and break their fangs
  • Tarantulas may run toward to your hands with a little help of tongs
  • You may throw your tarantulas in the air with any slight muscle reflex as tarantulas run toward to tongs
Just simply drop any feeder insects into enclosures, and close lids.

JuvenileHobbyist

Arachnopeon
There’s 2 main ways peeps using tongs.

1. Picking up prey dropping it in away from T - safe.

2. Doing the above except but holding prey in tongs and waiting for T to take from tongs directly- not safe

Lots of YouTube vids show #2

Ts don’t need to be spoonfed.
Owhh i see i misunderstood you, yea what i usually do i just pick up a roach and drop it in, i know they don't need to be tong fed, however it was super exciting to see since it happend accidently. I wanted to see where i'm getting myself into if i wish to proceed with it. However from this thread i can safely say it's not worth the potential risk to myself and the T.
Thanks!

Stardust1986

Arachnoknight
As the title says.

I dont use tongs, I heard it can damage their fangs. I personally use chopsticks for this reason, I feel like you have better control over your tool, I think my Ts are too big to climb them, but if they do, I'll drop them quickly, and because their light, the T should be safe

USNGunner

Arachnosquire
I dont use tongs, I heard it can damage their fangs. I personally use chopsticks for this reason, I feel like you have better control over your tool, I think my Ts are too big to climb them, but if they do, I'll drop them quickly, and because their light, the T should be safe

Nice idea actually. Uncle Roger approves! "Nieces and nephews, remember MSG make feeders taste much better, much better! "Haiyah!"

Stardust1986

Arachnoknight
If I get bit I can atleast post my experience : )

Kitara

Arachnodemon
I use those little vials my baby Ts came in. Tongs super creepy me out.