Why is there such a big price difference

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
can anyone tell me why there is such a big price difference for Ts and delivery in the USA and Europe?

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
As for tarantula prices: one big observation over the years is the number of people breeding tarantulas in Europe vs North America. They're are many more successful breeders in Europe than North America. Most of the stock in the u.s. comes from Europe so you're paying for the cost of the dealer in the States to have them shipped overseas to the States.

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
As for tarantula prices: one big observation over the years is the number of people breeding tarantulas in Europe vs North America. They're are many more successful breeders in Europe than North America. Most of the stock in the u.s. comes from Europe so you're paying for the cost of the dealer in the States to have them shipped overseas to the States.
One thing to add. Trade in the EU is much easier with respects to import fees in member states. AFAIK you could ship Ts from France to Germany (or wherever) for little to no importation fees. Which would lower the cost to the buyer.

We pay out the butt for T's here in Canada. It is actually kinda laughable with the crazy prices. I see lots of people posting saying "I could get 5 of those for that price!". We have very few established breeders so a spider that would cost $30usd in the states would probably cost over $100 cdn here. That isn't factoring in shipping costs to the buyer.

All comes down to supply/demand.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
We are no longer part of the European Union and import prices are just the same but can’t buy brachypelma from Europe for some reason. It’s mad to think majority of Ts in the hobby come from just south of USA but use buy them from Europe where we have mostly WC Ts from South America

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I agree with all of the above. Also considering Europe has its own shows just for invertebrates, while in the US invertebrates usually hitch hike in with reptile shows, its no wonder prices are sooooooooo much lower over on your side of the pond. My collection would be three times as large if we had your prices, and then double that if we had your species (snails, slugs, phasmids, mantises, roaches, millipedes, isopods, scorpions, crickets, katydids, true spiders, centipedes, crabs, tarantulas, amblypygi, lax import laws...)!

@Brachyfan, your prices may be higher, but so is the amount of species you can get. I tease myself by looking at Tarantula's Canada or Arachnophiliacs website's sometimes.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Minty

@londontarantulas
The Spider Shop in the UK have a lot of CITES Brachypelma anyway, and they'll be breeding them. So the UK is sorted for Brachypelma species for the foreseeable future.

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
@Brachyfan,
your prices may be higher, but so is the amount of species you can get. I tease myself by looking at Tarantula's Canada or Arachnophiliacs website's sometimes.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Tarcan is awesome! Just wish I could find things like Phidippus species in Canada.

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member
Its simple economics....more European breeders AND importers means lots more ts available in Europe. US on the other hand has fewer breeders and likely fewer importers, which makes us to a degree reliant on those European importers and breeders...which causes a direct and significant price increase on this side of the pond.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
The answer is simple, the US has less experienced breeders and importers than other countries. Also the fact that the US has more hobbyist with not enough experienced breeders to reproduce those more rare and uncommon species. That's why people mostly only see CB B. albo's, vagans, and those common species etc. The hobby in the US is very difficult for sure.

Just wish I could find things like Phidippus species in Canada.
Wow, they jump around here and there and you could find many young broods jumping at parks here where I live in the US. I don't see why people sell them when I could just go outside and find them at a local forested area in like 10-20 mins if it's breeding season between mid-late May to early-mid July/August. But anyhow I find WC P. regius for selling is not good practice, especially since a huge chunk of the breeding area has been deforested recently.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
@Brachyfan, your prices may be higher, but so is the amount of species you can get. I tease myself by looking at Tarantula's Canada or Arachnophiliacs website's sometimes.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Tarcan is awesome! Just wish I could find things like Phidippus species in Canada.
They had some a little while back. So did Arachnophiliacs.

You can also *catch* them depending where you live. I see little jumpers all over this time of year, often in my kitchen!

Last edited by a moderator:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
can anyone tell me why there is such a big price difference for Ts and delivery in the USA and Europe?

Another reason, anyone that knows the black market for illegal animals is acutely aware that EUROPE is the gateway to get animals into market. The restrictions are far less there than USA, and geographic location helps to.

There's a lot of species in the hobby that were illegally taken, I. mira was one. You can't even own I mira in its native country without a permit if I recall.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Its simple economics....more European breeders AND importers means lots more ts available in Europe. US on the other hand has fewer breeders and likely fewer importers, which makes us to a degree reliant on those European importers and breeders...which causes a direct and significant price increase on this side of the pond.
Not to mention in USA less demand for invents and a much wider spread of the states . From coast to coast is a bigger distance then Britain to Germany by far .
Shipping prices are more less expensive because express cost more , and is better method for keeping Ts alive . Though I don’t think I’ve ever had a doa from 2day or 2-4days shipping before. I’ve not ordered in years and am hunting for a Desk job . Might not buy anymore Ts til I move out .

sasker

Arachnoprince
Another contributing factor is that the costs of living and welfare level are not equal throughout the EU, or at least I presume that this is less evenly divided in the EU than in the US. Some large sellers/breeders are located in Poland, which is a far cheaper country to be located than a Western European country. Their overhead costs are therefore much lower and they can offer tarantulas for much lower prices and ship them anywhere in the EU. This lowers the prices throughout the EU.