why is she plugged? don't want kids anymore?

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi all,
I got a little situation. My female H.judaicus that dropped eggs in the month of October have problems. For some unknown reason, 1 of the egg got stuck last year October when she dropped eggs instead of babies. I think it was stuck because she didn't have that plug before giving birth. Now, my male H.judaicus mated with her atleast 4-5 times since October but i'm not sure if he is successful because of that plug. They're actually kissing right now and I found another spermatophore deposit underneath her.
What is this plug? why does she have that? Should I be concern? Is she done with babies? Is it her way of saying that she don't want kids anymore? lol

Here's a few pictures!

Nazgul

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

I don´t know if it occurs in Hottentotta sp but it might be a genital plug from the male to avoid further inseminations by other males. There´s a paper on genital plugs in Bothriuridae spp which can be downloaded on the pages of the AMNH if you are interested:
Mattoni, C.I. & A.V. Peretti (2004). The giant and complex genital plug of the asper group of Bothriurus (Scorpiones, Bothriuridae): morphology and comparison with other genital plugs in scorpions. Zoologischer Anzeiger 243(1-2): 75-84.

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,

I don´t know if it occurs in Hottentotta sp but it might be a genital plug from the male to avoid further inseminations by other males. There´s a paper on genital plugs in Bothriuridae spp which can be downloaded on the pages of the AMNH if you are interested:
Mattoni, C.I. & A.V. Peretti (2004). The giant and complex genital plug of the asper group of Bothriurus (Scorpiones, Bothriuridae): morphology and comparison with other genital plugs in scorpions. Zoologischer Anzeiger 243(1-2): 75-84.
Thanks Alex. I will definately check that paper. I know that Scottland on VL have the same problem with his Orthochirus scrobiculosus negebensis. I hope that it's just a plug and nothing major. Here's the link to Scott-land's post http://venomlist.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13485&hl=