Why is Psalmopoeus in Selenocosmiinae

alpharowe3

Arachnopeon
I realize Psalmopoeus has no urticating hairs, but surely there are more similarities to their old world cousins? Are their venoms similar to other genera in Selenocosmiinae? Are there any other old world-like genera or species in the new world?

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
West, Marshall, Fukushima & Bertani (2008) consider Psalmopoeus to belong in the subfamily Aviculariinae.

alpharowe3

Arachnopeon
West, Marshall, Fukushima & Bertani (2008) consider Psalmopoeus to belong in the subfamily Aviculariinae.
Is there anywhere I can read on why some put it in Aviculariinae and some put it in Selenocosmiinae?

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The former have urticating hair. Psalmos really look like Lampropelmas lost at sea and ending there : )

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
The former have urticating hair. Psalmos really look like Lampropelmas lost at sea and ending there : )
If you include Psalmopoeus, Tapinauchenius, Heteroscodra and Stromatopelma in the Aviculariinae like West et al. did, then not all genera in the Aviculariinae have urticating hairs. I'm not sure I see your point there, Lampropelma is a genus from the subfamily Ornithoctoninae.

Is there anywhere I can read on why some put it in Aviculariinae and some put it in Selenocosmiinae?
Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I can mail you some reading material.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I know, but outside of taxonomy, you cannot help but think they look alike a lot. With black and white pics, I dare people to sort them out : )

Sceptic

Arachnopeon
I realize Psalmopoeus has no urticating hairs, but surely there are more similarities to their old world cousins? Are their venoms similar to other genera in Selenocosmiinae? Are there any other old world-like genera or species in the new world?
Genus Psalmopoeus belong to subfamily Psalmopoeinae.

Samm R. & Schmidt, 2010: Psalmopoeinae subfamilia nov. - eine neue Unterfamilie der Theraphosidae (Araneae). Tarantulas of the World, 142: 35-41.