Why is my versicolor in this position?

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
My versicolor molted yesterday and it's sitting in this awkward position right now. It has space to sit properly with legs stretched out but it chose to sit this way. I disturbed it a bit and it moved to sit properly but returned to this position. Should I be worried?

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
You can't really make out the position you mean, it does look like it's stretched out, but if it's sitting with it's legs inward, over it's carapace, then it's just protecting itself, as they are fragile (SOFT) after a moult, so nothing to worry about.;)

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
You can't really make out the position you mean, it does look like it's stretched out, but if it's sitting with it's legs inward, over it's carapace, then it's just protecting itself, as they are fragile (SOFT) after a moult, so nothing to worry about.;)
Sorry for the bad picture. The way it's sitting its butt is like at an angle against the carapace and one of the rear legs is bent. It can move properly and sit in a normal position so I guess I'm just being overly worried.

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My versicolor molted yesterday and it's sitting in this awkward position right now. It has space to sit properly with legs stretched out but it chose to sit this way. I disturbed it a bit and it moved to sit properly but returned to this position. Should I be worried?

After a molt, tarantulas often stretch and do some "spider yoga" as their new exoskeletons harden. This activity can last a few days for slings to a couple weeks for larger specimens. Arboreals can get themselves into so pretty weird and sometimes funny positions when they stretch (as you've discovered!). Don't worry...that's totally normal.

Gorgeous sling, by the way. :)

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
Mine does this too. It worried me a few times, after awhile I became accustomed to it doing this, at least for my specimen, it seems it is its usual behavior.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +

No. Post molt they will assume all kinds of strange positions to stretch. Often they do it for a week or more if it's a larger specimen.

It's normal and no cause for concern.

This one molted a day before this picture was taken. She kept assuming this position that made her look like she was sunbathing and tanning her back.

Attachments

Stormsky

Arachnopeon
Like the others said, its just stretching. My double avic molted about a week ago and I've been catching it in all kinda weird positions because it refuses to leave it's cramped web tube to stretch out properly.

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
The t is fine...the enclosure however, is terrible. I'd re-work that.

Give it wood to have a stable arboreal platform and surround the mid-top of that wood with plants.
Thanks, I'm planning to do so. I finally had time to buy a bunch of plastic containers yesterday. The pic was a temporary setup with the container it came in.

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
After a molt, tarantulas often stretch and do some "spider yoga" as their new exoskeletons harden. This activity can last a few days for slings to a couple weeks for larger specimens. Arboreals can get themselves into so pretty weird and sometimes funny positions when they stretch (as you've discovered!). Don't worry...that's totally normal.

Gorgeous sling, by the way. :)
Mine does this too. It worried me a few times, after awhile I became accustomed to it doing this, at least for my specimen, it seems it is its usual behavior.
Thanks for the reassurance on this issue.

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
No. Post molt they will assume all kinds of strange positions to stretch. Often they do it for a week or more if it's a larger specimen.

It's normal and no cause for concern.

This one molted a day before this picture was taken. She kept assuming this position that made her look like she was sunbathing and tanning her back.
Post-moult yoga, nothing to worry about.

Here's my GBB having a stretch.

View media item 41437
And my A. geniculata pretending to be a Pokie.

View media item 38104
lol those are some funny looking tarantulas. Thanks for the tip.