Why is my T curled up in a ball?

Arthropod

Arachnopeon
I thought it was because she was cold but she remains in that position even when I put her in front of the heater. Do you think its because the heater is dry hot air? Do you think she positions herself like that because its too dry, too cold, or too hot?

Roski

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I thought it was because she was cold but she remains in that position even when I put her in front of the heater. Do you think its because the heater is dry hot air? Do you think she positions herself like that because its too dry, too cold, or too hot?
Are the legs scrunced up over its eyes or down under its body?

Humidity/temperature requrements vary between species; which tarantula are you talking about?

Arthropod

Arachnopeon
its over her eyes, this is an avicularia and I pour water in her terrarium and I can see condensation forming.

Versi*JP*Color

Arachnoknight
It's probably a death curl.
It could be very dehydrated or an Old MM.
Look for hooks under the pedipalps, if there you have a MM.

Arthropod

Arachnopeon
I know its a female, and its not dead. It was just sitting in her tank and I knew the weather was cold so I picked her up (I handle her often and she doesn't display this behavior often) and I put her in front of my heater and she curled up. I figured if it was too hot she would crawl up my arm but she just stood there.

Roski

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
its over her eyes, this is an avicularia and I pour water in her terrarium and I can see condensation forming.
I asked because a "curl" in the hobby usually denotes "death curl" in which the spider's legs are folded underneath its body.

It is normal behavior for Avics to rest in the position you're describing, no need to worry. :)

I may be wrong but your last post makes it sound as though you are soaking the substrate. While Avics require slightly higher humidity, damp soil is often enough. Keep her at room temperature and don't move her too close to the heater.

Salamanderhead: I assume the OP means the spider is hiding her eyes. Your pic shows a near death-curl, where the spider's eyes are not covered by its legs. Sorry for your loss, all the same. :(

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I asked because a "curl" in the hobby usually denotes "death curl" in which the spider's legs are folded underneath its body.

It is normal behavior for Avics to rest in the position you're describing, no need to worry. :)

Salamanderhead: I assume the OP means the spider is hiding her eyes. Your pic shows a near death-curl, where the spider's eyes are not covered by its legs. Sorry for your loss, all the same. :(
This is what I was thinking as well.

Arthropod

Arachnopeon
Here I took a pic

and ya I just pour water in the terrarium but its not soaked its just damp

Arthropod

Arachnopeon
lol thanks, ya she does she gets plenty of water and food, probably excess even

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
but she only goes in it when shes in front of my heater, never otherwise
So, forgive me for stating the obvious, but how about moving her away from the heater, if it's causing her to "curl" (unless I missed the part why you are unable/unwilling to do that)?:?

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
because she was cold, its frigid in here
Our living room and music room, where all of our Ts are distributed, are 64 degrees F right now. I bet you it isn't that frigid and the T is fine temp wise, at least until you put it in front of the heater. The T is doing what is considered 'pouting' which means(in most instances) that something is stressing it, in some way. This could be the excessive handling, which IME seems to have an marked effect upon our Avicularia species; and it pretty much shouted at you that it didn't like the heat, so try putting it back in the enclosure and leaving it alone.