why is my rose hair tarantula drinking excessively?

insane247

Arachnosquire
i give her water every day. the dish is dry in no time. she just sits on top of it and chugs the whole thing. the dish is about 5mL. why is she drinking so much?

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i give her water every day. the dish is dry in no time. she just sits on top of it and chugs the whole thing. the dish is about 5mL. why is she drinking so much?
So you witness her putting her mouth in the water and drinking it all?

insane247

Arachnosquire
exactly! she sits over it and crouches in a way so that her mouth is dipped in the water and sits like that til all the water is gone. i thought the water was just evaporating really fast until i saw her doing this twice today already. this morning she was doing this on the wet dirt where the water had spilled a bit. so i filled the dish and she went and drank out of it. she emptied it and i filled it again and now she's sitting on it again. she doesnt move until the dish is empty

insane247

Arachnosquire
i was told i didnt need anything to maintain the temp. so it's room temperature. she seems fine with that temp

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
How big is she? Just for the record, 5ml is only 1tsp. If she's drinking it, she must need the water, just keep it full for her.:)

insane247

Arachnosquire
including the legspan she is almost 3 inches. she's so small to be drinking that much water. she's finished off two dishfulls today. i dont want to fill the dish again im afraid she'll drink too much

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
hmm I don't know, I'm still a newbie but I would keep the waterdish full. Maybe get a bigger one. Is she eating well? You know the last few days my ts have been drinking more. I caught 2 of my ts in their waterdishes in the last 2 days and they both drank them dry. I think in my case the heat running is drying the air out. I have also started running a humidifier in the room. They know what they are doing. If they are drinking, they need water.

insane247

Arachnosquire
she is eating fine. she eats the crickets as soon as it comes near her. i feed her every 3 days. is that not enough? i was told that you have to do around 3 days. i was also told that they eat whenever they get a chance so just because they eat so vigorously doesnt mean they are really hungry it just means they are taking a chance when they get it because they do not know when another one will come

Dangergirl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Out of my 24 T's, I fill up only one bowl daily ... thats right, my rosea !
P.S I wouldnt worry about a T drinking "too much" - they know what they are doing !

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
As far as eating, people have different opinions. Some people think you can feed too much, some people think that they will stop eating when they are full. I personally like to feed them whenever I think they will eat. For some this is once a week and for some of the younger ones, this is twice a week. It's just up to you. Do keep her water dish full though. Sounds like she is doing good :)

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you are tired of it drinking it dry, give it a bigger water dish. In the wild they might have creeks, or rivers available to them and are just fine Instead of looking at it as a worrisome thing, look at it as the clearest communication you can get from it. The T is thirsty, give it a bigger water dish. ;) Central heating can dry out the air in your house quickly and your T is feeling it. That said, you haven't mentioned any troublesome behavior besides drinking, so I think thirsty is your best guess for the cause.

lta3398

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have 6 rosies, and one is the same way. she eats just fine, and she is nice and plump;) I just keep an eye on her dish, and refill as needed. So far, it has worked good. I also gave her a slightly larger dish. The central air does contribute though. Since I live in South Florida, I have to have mine on, or it is unbearable in the house. I maintain the house at 74 degrees. so i just have to take that extra few seconds a day and make sure she has water :)

Last edited:

Royal_T's

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
When was the last time she molted? She may be hydrating for an upcoming molt.

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just keep the dish full. I have to refill my B. Smithis dish everyday... but I live in a desert... it's dry here, and so is the cage.

Armoworrior

Arachnopeon
my rosea does this same thing. the first time he drank water i was surprised to catch him. this after i was told that spiders DON'T drink water. mine did this up entil a few months ago and now he just molted last night

insane247

Arachnosquire
ok so she is going to molt soon. i looked up and they usually spin a web mat to sit on when they will molt and she has started doing that for the past month. how long does this process take?

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 PM ----------

i was worried because she kicked a hair off on me the other day. she was always flinchy when i first touched her but never acted defensively. usually once she knows its just me she settles down and will just sit on me and stop trying to crawl away. so i was surprised when she did this but i guess she is just molting and feeling vulnerable. she is still eating tho. just less aggressively

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ok so she is going to molt soon. i looked up and they usually spin a web mat to sit on when they will molt and she has started doing that for the past month. how long does this process take?
That is not a sure fire way to tell. My rosea always has a mat that it sits on. The only ways to really tell are:
-Refusal of food
-Sluggishness
-If it has a bald spot, then the skin darkening and turning black. Once it is black and shiny, you know it is due for a molt.

*Edit: If your T is still eating it is not in premolt.

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon
Drinking tons of water doesn't always signal an eventual molt with rosea. Unless this was captive bred there could be a high chance of a gravid female rosea, and they are NOTORIOUS water drinkers when gravid. Considering they are from arid environments, this would make sense when carrying over 200 spiderlings.

Not saying yours is gravid, but don't be surprised. And is so, you should heighten the feeding a bit. Which could be why she's drinking so often, because she's not getting enough food. My rosea females drank quite a bit, but not entire dish fulls, because they were fed constantly while gravid.

So keep us informed on how this turns out either way. With pics!