why is my rose hair tarantula digging a hole?

insane247

Arachnosquire
i've had her for about a week now and today she started digging a hole. she would dig a bit, then turn around and spin some web on the dirt, then pull that dirt out and then dig some more. then she went a few inches over and started digging another hole.

is she not happy with the conditions? is the dirt too dry? i had a hide but the opening was not big enough for her to crawl into it so i took it out. does she need a hide? i fed her two days ago so she shouldn't be hungry :?

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeah she needs a hide , she might not ever use it, but maybe if you give her one , it give her a little comfort knowing she has a place to go just incase bad weather lol , my younger ones like digging holes , my old momma rosea does what everbodys does stand around, i try and have something in my tanks for all my t's, makes display look better, and i think helps keep the stress down . cant hurt foresure.

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
Basically no need to EVER worry about the behavior of a rosea - - they will do almost anything for any reason, or no reason at all. You'll never make it "happy" or "sad" either. Just provide basic care and enjoy the show :rolleyes:

Roseas like it completely dry, but make sure there is a water dish available. A hide would also be a good idea - otherwise it may be that it's trying to burrow and make it's own hide. Hope that helps.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Basically no need to EVER worry about the behavior of a rosea - - they will do almost anything for any reason, or no reason at all. You'll never make it "happy" or "sad" either. Just provide basic care and enjoy the show :rolleyes:

Roseas like it completely dry, but make sure there is a water dish available. A hide would also be a good idea - otherwise it may be that it's trying to burrow and make it's own hide. Hope that helps.
Definitely +1 on this. Rosies are notoriously weird little buggers. They don't follow any standard of behavior, and so they're hard to predict.

Likely, it's just making itself at home, and you'll just get a nice show out of it.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Our adult G. rosea has a multi story burrow. They can and will burrow to make their own hide if given enough substrate. That doesn't mean all will burrow with enough substrate to either. :) Ours is anything but a pet rock!

Tokendog

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah, Rosea's are one of the craziest Ts over all. They will do random things that make no sense at all just because they are Roseas.

Don't worry about it - its one of the joys of owning them :)

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i'd say if your rosea is burrowing, you're probably doing keeping it right :D

i am going to go against them needing a hide (i personally offer them though). from what i've seen in the past, if given enough sub without a hide, they will do as they please regardless and create some really interesting burrows.

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=185880

Congratulations on finding a rosie that burrows! haha.
It took me a long time to find one that showed signs of digging, and im currently trying to set up a cool tank for it.

But like everyone said, dont worry completely natural. It may not make as many appearances but that can be fixed with the order of more T's =P

SK8TERBOI

Arachnopeon
Lol wow this is the most activity i have heard of a Rosey doing Mine sits in a Corner and hasnt moved in months and yes she is alive but hates her hide which i have re-done a few times

elm199

Arachnopeon
Does she have anything else in the tank to sit under or at least stand next to? I've sized up twice in the 4 years I've had mine, and I'm planning another round of improvements. She uses all the space she has, climbs on her bark sheets, and stands next to her plants. Pretty much anything you read about spiders says they only need the basics in their habitats, but they'll explore and use whatever you give them.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i'd say if your rosea is burrowing, you're probably doing keeping it right :D

i am going to go against them needing a hide (i personally offer them though). from what i've seen in the past, if given enough sub without a hide, they will do as they please regardless and create some really interesting burrows.
+1

I've also had rosies that refused their hide and dug a scrape under the water dish as well as rosies that dug scrapes underneath their hide :} Never been fortunate enough to have one that burrows though.

Pandasawrus09

Arachnopeon
my chilean rose loves to dig its like every week she changes the tank around i think its pretty amazing to watch

Giygas

Arachnosquire
Just as I feared...your rose...is acting like a rosie.
Haha, in all seriousness, roseas usually take substrate and pack it elsewhere, Tarantula Feng Shui, if you will. :)

---------- Post added 04-23-2012 at 02:21 PM ----------

+1 to LV too.

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
i've had her for about a week now and today she started digging a hole. she would dig a bit, then turn around and spin some web on the dirt, then pull that dirt out and then dig some more. then she went a few inches over and started digging another hole.

is she not happy with the conditions? is the dirt too dry? i had a hide but the opening was not big enough for her to crawl into it so i took it out. does she need a hide? i fed her two days ago so she shouldn't be hungry :?
She's digging a foxhole. Of my three rosies, one doesnt have a hide, and thats what she does. Shes happy, and a hide isnt necesssarily necessary.

Bobby1911

Arachnopeon

My rose hair dug a hole that I don't think is stable it has a plant above it. when she's not in it can I collapse it or should I leave it