Why is my A. Seemanni stressed

Adizzle

Arachnopeon
Howdy everyone.

I've had my A. Seemanni for a while now and normally it's completely fine, never had an issue with him/her. But suddenly over the past couple of days it's been sat in the corner in a stress pose. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice. The only thing that has changed was I have it some decorative leafs. 15819287529106121359457285533956.jpg

Minty

@londontarantulas
Take the leaves out and see if it makes a difference. Although if they’re fake leaves, they shouldn’t cause any issue.

Adizzle

Arachnopeon
Take the leaves out and see if it makes a difference. Although if they’re fake leaves, they shouldn’t cause any issue.
I should have mentioned I already tried this, as I assumed it would be the issue but it isn't sadly

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It wont matter if you put in some leafs. Tarantulas wont be stressed by that. Are you sure it is stressed? Cant see any sign of stress in the picture. I just se a tarantula sitting still

Adizzle

Arachnopeon
It wont matter if you put in some leafs. Tarantulas wont be stressed by that. Are you sure it is stressed? Cant see any sign of stress in the picture. I just se a tarantula sitting still
I was told that when they tense their legs up and put them over their eyes its due to them being stressed, I've just moved him/her to a different part of my room which has less exposure to sunlight so hopefully it'll help. If it doesn't looked stressed to you that's wonderful, I'm just a worrier I suppose

Minty

@londontarantulas
I was told that when they tense their legs up and put them over their eyes its due to them being stressed, I've just moved him/her to a different part of my room which has less exposure to sunlight so hopefully it'll help. If it doesn't looked stressed to you that's wonderful, I'm just a worrier I suppose
It sounds like you have nothing to worry about. As long as a tarantula can move around as it usually does, and is eating (if it isn't in premoult), then there usually isn't anything to be concerned with.

Adizzle

Arachnopeon
It sounds like you have nothing to worry about. As long as a tarantula can move around as it usually does, and is eating (if it isn't in premoult), then there usually isn't anything to be concerned with.
Oh thank you! I know I definitely worry more than I should about my Ts, but I do love them 😂

Thekla

Arachnoprince
How long do you have it? They sometimes need months to really settle in.

But it can't be completely "content" if it's not burrowing. A. seemanni are obligate burrowers but your enclosure doesn't really support that. I would add more substrate (maybe 3-4" if possible) and tamp it down real good.
Also, did you cut that flower pot in half? If it's still whole your T has no means to make a proper burrow out of it if it's not able to burrow down. You could also try and provide a starter burrow in a corner of the enclosure.
The moment it starts burrowing and disappears from sight you'll know your T is fine with its little world. ;)

Adizzle

Arachnopeon
How long do you have it? They sometimes need months to really settle in.

But it can't be completely "content" if it's not burrowing. A. seemanni are obligate burrowers but your enclosure doesn't really support that. I would add more substrate (maybe 3-4" if possible) and tamp it down real good.
Also, did you cut that flower pot in half? If it's still whole your T has no means to make a proper burrow out of it if it's not able to burrow down. You could also try and provide a starter burrow in a corner of the enclosure.
The moment it starts burrowing and disappears from sight you'll know your T is fine with its little world. ;)
I've had him over a year now, he was absolutely fine, he's never shown interest in burrowing even when it had plenty of substrate and a starter burrow, I've also confirmed with traders such as spider shop and so many legs that they don't All burrow so I shouldn't worry about it.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Howdy everyone.

I've had my A. Seemanni for a while now and normally it's completely fine, never had an issue with him/her. But suddenly over the past couple of days it's been sat in the corner in a stress pose. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice. The only thing that has changed was I have it some decorative leafs. View attachment 334188
Difficult to see clearly, but that is not a stress pose. The spider looks to be just sitting and facing into the corner.

BF61F81A-6637-4A4C-87A9-1577BB3B942C.jpeg
Here’s my little Aphonopelma seemanni hanging out by its water dish. The pose looks similar to yours, and this is not a stress pose.

After I re-housed it back in November, it was stressed. Very upset with changes

I put a ping pong ball in the enclosure and it would push the ball around a little each day...and a lot at night. It took about 2 weeks and it finally settled in and started digging a burrow.

Last edited:

Adizzle

Arachnopeon
Mine didn't burrow until I put in a PVC pipe and dug it out a bit just a suggestion you can barely see the top of the pipe but there she is at the bottom
I shall give it another try a lil bit later on this month, just gonna give it some space for now. Thank you for the suggestion!!

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
Mine sits like that sometimes too, in the corner with its legs scrunched up. I would add 3-4" of sub and start a burrow for it, see if that helps.

Attachments

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Could be stressed or could be she's looking for the hotest place on the enclosure.

To check if it is looking for a warm spot, turn the enclosure. If you find the T in the same corner that was before, then is not a temp related issue.