Why herpers shouldnt keep spiders

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This is a quote from a herp forum I go to

Yes, you can overfeed a tarantula. This is a common cause of death (in captive specimens), particularly in adults. Many, (I hesitate to say most cause I'll get yelled at) captive raised adult tarantulas are over fed. I really don't know how to describe what a "fat" (for lack of a better term), abdomen looks like. It should be firm but not over inflated looking. Adult tarantulal are used to going long periods of time without food (yes, there are exceptions) and then gorging themselves when food is available. If yours are still growing, a couple or three pinks at a feeding will probably be fine, but this may be a little much for full grown adults. Hope this is a help.

I am sure Joy will find it amusing :)

Aboreal Rayne

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by Chris

Yes, you can overfeed a tarantula. This is a common cause of death (in captive specimens), particularly in adults. Many, (I hesitate to say most cause I'll get yelled at) captive raised adult tarantulas are over fed. I really don't know how to describe what a "fat" (for lack of a better term), abdomen looks like. It should be firm but not over inflated looking. Adult tarantulal are used to going long periods of time without food (yes, there are exceptions) and then gorging themselves when food is available. If yours are still growing, a couple or three pinks at a feeding will probably be fine, but this may be a little much for full grown adults. Hope this is a help.

Chris,
Accually you are incorrect, in fact alot of what you said is opposite of the truth. Few tarantula's die of "over eating" reason being most NORMAL tarantula's won't allow you to over feed them. That may have something to do with why you can't describe a fat T? Maybee you haven't seen such rare conditions? Secondly Tarantula Can go without food for long periods of time due to thier slow metbolism, however they don't lile to not eat when they need too. A normal tarantula will eat once or twice every two weeks, pending on the living conditions. Thirdy pinkys offer varied diet, and shouldn't be givin to your T in groups, only one once in a wile- mice aren't any kind of T's staple food. So as you can see the stament above is invalid- and full of fun Tarantula Urban Legands. The beat goes on folks....
P.S. Chris I later relized that you aren't the author of this retarded article, didn't mean to misunderstand.

Last edited:

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I hear the sound of large flying object going right over Aboreal's head ;P

The funny part about the bogus advice was the bit about 2-3 pinkies being a suitable meal for a growing T whose weight you should be watching. That is a huge meal for most Ts, growing or not.

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I would hesitate to implicate herp people just because of one ignorant soul.

Herpers as a group tend to be just the opposite - they may not be directly involved in spiders and such, but they are usually more aware of the basics of vivarium care and housing than other pet owners. I'd trust a reptile enthusiast to know how to maintain a tarantula properly sooner than I would a ferret breeder or a bird hobbyist.

That all said, I DO think it's unwise to keep tarantulas overfed. Fat is one thing -- so huge that it has trouble moving and perhaps molting is another.

bill

KelliH

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm a herper and I do just fine with my T's :)

I think the transition from herper to arachnophile was a natural one (for this herper at least).

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I keep both...

I've had herps for far longer than I've had Ts and I seem to do just fine with both. :)

Funny quote but you can't lump all herpers into one category due to the ignorance of one. For that matter there are plenty of herpers who don't know too much about their herps either.

Phil

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Grael
ok 1 question whats a herper?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grael.

Herps, reptiles and amphibians.

herper, people who keep reptiles and amphibians.

But not all herpers are herpetologists.

Just like all people who keep tarantulas and other such are arachnologists.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Nixy
quote:
ok 1 question whats a herper?

Grael.

Herps, reptiles and amphibians.

herper, people who keep reptiles and amphibians.

But not all herpers are herpetologists.

Just like all people who keep tarantulas and other such are arachnologists.
Some people can get pretty close to being Arachnologists without one credit hour of college.

ant1gen

Arachnopeon
I certainly started with herps as a child, and didn't move into arachnids/inverts until I was full growed. ;-) But the experiences gained trying to satisfy the needs of some fussy herps has helped in my attempts to keep the inverts happy (and contained).

And I'd define a herper as one who keeps reptiles and amphibians and places more emphasis on the pet aspect than on the study aspect. Amateur herpetologists, perhaps.

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Chris

I am sure Joy will find it amusing :)
I keep herps. Does that mean I shouldn't keep T's? Yeah right.
I do just as good with my T's as I do with my herps.
Mike

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
oh thanks

herps....sonds kinda like a STD to me lol

Ravnos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have herps, birds, ferrets, and tarantulas... I'm failing to see any possible connection to overfeeding. :p

Rav

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
oh thanks

herps....sonds kinda like a STD to me lol

No, not everyone leaves out vowels at random to shorten typed sentences..

Bill

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The ignorance of one herper should not damn all of them. I have 13 snakes, 3 lizards, 3 dogs, a bird, and a lot of tropical fish. They all get equally good care, all you have to do is educate yourself to whatever you're keeping. People who don't read the books (as the original qoute in this thread obviously shows), just lack knowledge on the subject. Animals know when they are no longer hungry, just try feeding your neighbors cat to death, it doesn't work!!

Andy

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by conipto
No, not everyone leaves out vowels at random to shorten typed sentences..

Bill
not every1 has to be patronising about other peoples typos either now do they? and y would i leave out a vowel on purpose? if u have a problem with me PM me dont be so pathetic and have personal attacks on me about my typos....

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
not every1 has to be patronising about other peoples typos either now do they? and y would i leave out a vowel on purpose? if u have a problem with me PM me dont be so pathetic and have personal attacks on me about my typos....
Now, don't take this the wrong way, but do you really expect anyone to take the above message seriously? Bill wasn't talking about typos, Bill is talking about your excessive use of "netspeak", a practice that I quietly abhor, Bill's just not so quiet. Your entire reply is exactly what prompted his gentle but snide commentary.

I'm a big fan of the English language and, while I'm not bothered by occasional misspellings or "proper" use of slang, or even the chopped English from foreign speakers, seeing people who almost certainly do know better deliberately butcher it just so they can save a keystroke or two and/or look cool is annoying. If you want people to "hear" what you say, it's best that you say it clearly and intelligently. Using 'every1' and 'y' is neither clear nor intelligent, it's just gibberish that has no semantical meaning except among a group of people with no respect for the written word.

Don't take this personally, I have absolutely nothing against you, but people have tried to point this out to you more than once and it seems to be going right over your head. Since you felt the need to answer Bill's post the way you did, I'll come out of my shell for the moment.

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Chris,
Did you correct this misguided soul?

Everyone else,
I think you're all taking Chris' generalization too personally. I don't know if he started with Ts or herps, but I know for a fact that Chris has both as well. I think he just meant that some individuals who keep herps assume they know about all exotic pets, when this is obviously not the case. Be it a H.Lividum or a firebelly toad, all exotics need research.
BUt it's early in the morning. Maybe I don't know what i'm talking about.
Paul